Master db in Single user

• A starnge thing.. on a test server, the master Db has gone into single user mode.

No idea why. It happened just after a restore of a user database.

Tried restarting the server.

Any ideas?

DBA (Dogsbody with Bad Attitude)

• Did restarting db server help?

It looks like the restore process is yet not finished updating information about the restored user database in master db.

• Are you sure a user db was restored? Did you do the restore? I wouldn't be surprised if someone clicked something by accident.

• I have seen this occur when the master database has been restored using a different name and the registry entries were changed to reflect this (common practice if restoring the master of one server to another just to copy back over to the original server for DR purposes). From what I have seen, it is not in single user mode (although everything says it is) and processing can go on without issue.

• As far as I know, the master db was not touched at any time.

The user db was restored as per usual, ie, no special parameters, restore database [name] from disk='etc' with replace, move etc. Just the same way I do it all the time.

It certainly doesn't seem to be impacting anything so far, but I'm always concerned when something like this happens which is out of the ordinary.

Restarting the services didn't have any effect. There's nothing in the errorlog to indicate a problem either.

However, one of the things I tried was stopping the services then using the command line to try and start the server in single user mode : sqlservr.exe -c -m etc.

This failed with some errors regarding a security certificate, however starting the server normally doesn't post anything unusual in the system even log or the sql errorlog, jus the usual stuff (starting, recovering etc).

I'll keep an eye on it though. it's just a test server running on a VM so it'll be easy to just blow it away and reinstall if necessary.

DBA (Dogsbody with Bad Attitude)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply