Managing Tables

• This may not be the most appropriate forum to post this, so please excuse if it is not.

I have built a web application that allows a user to specify a dozen parameters that will ultimately query the SQL database.  On submit, it calls a stored proc that compiles the query and creates a job that will build a new table to store the result set.

This system has been tested and tested and so far it is working just fine.  The question I have is what would be the best way for the user to access these tables?  My initial thought was to have them import/link them inside an MSAccess database.  I know this will work, but I prefer not getting MSAccess in the mix if there are better alternatives.

The user will need to sort, filter, delete, analyze the results.  It's basically a marketing function to compile and analyze the records based on various parameters that are specified within the web application.

A result set could be as large as 200K rows, so Excel is out of the question.

MS SQL 2000.

Thanks so much!!

• Actually, if your users are experienced in MS-Access, what's wrong with them using it?  The only other thing you could do is either write you own Web app to do those things (like Access, which is why I'm asking, "What's wrong with Access?"), or, write a data-mart, use SQL Query Analyzer (licensing issues), of buy some copies of something like AQT.

Alternatively, if you look carefully on the internet (don't know the URLs off-hand), you can find some free Query Analyzer-like programs for use with MDSE which, of course, means it will also work on SQL Server.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks for the post! 

The problem is related to user capabilities with the software.  That and the support is my main concern.  Though this is being built for an individual, it will ultimately expand to a dozen or so users.  If that is my best option, than that's probably where I'll go.

I appreciate your input!

• Juan,

I'm a bit confused.... you say the users are going to do deletes, sorts, filters, and analysis but you have concerns about their capabilities with the software (Access)?  I'm thinking that a third option might be a little better... ask them what kind of summary reports they'd like to see and then, you make them.  If you really want to be clever, use "external data" in a handful of spreadsheets with the idea that the data will already be summarized somewhat.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply