Major ideas needed

• upon working for an organization that supports over 100 instances of SQL (7,2000, and 2k5) All of each type was installed on one single server license. Is there a way to go inside of these servers and find the product key to modify this to a "purchased" key that is on record so that this is corrected and brought up to specs. Also if this is not repairable...then will have to see if i can purchase an open volume license for the key that is currently being used. Any ideas ?? suggestions..or thoughts..would be greatly appreciated. Yes its a mess ....

Thanks

DHeath

• No. you might have to call Microsoft PSS.

• Just go straight for the open license.  If you have the paperwork on file stating you have *paid* for the right number of licenses - microsoft isn't going to much care what key was used on any given machine.

Having been through that, here's a tip:  count up your test servers and production servers separately.  Assuming your test servers don't require more than 10 concurrent licenses - you can license them under a VS2005 enterprise CAL license (one per developer), which entitles you to use connection limited installs "for dev and testing purposes".

don't forget about CAL's...Unless you plan on licensing everything per processor (in VMWARE that's per proc in each virtual session).  And CAL's are technical required for every "direct and indirect" user: that means a Web server pulling data for 250 users is not one connection - that's 250.  I know, the news just gets better from here.....

Finally - if you should call PSS - change your voice, call from a payphone, and dial using surgical gloves...."Hi Microsoft?  I've got 100 servers with no licenses - can you help?" ....

I feel your pain

"vaya con dios"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Thanks for the ideas. Looks like this will be a time consuming process but o well guess have to get all the future parts set up and then start taking them one at a time going backwards. Thanks

DHeath

• Also be carefull of multi instance machines because some licenses allow you to have more than one instance without a new license and others do not.

• No multi-instance machines.. all single instances. A few clusters but thats different.

Thanks everyone

DHeath

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply