Maintenance Plans in a Legacy folder?

•  

Hi all,

Why is it I cannot create/edit Maintenance Plans with the downloaded SQL Server 2005. Previously created plans are held under Legacy. Is this a limitation of the evaluation copy?

Thanks,

Drew

• Do you mean maintenance plans migrated from SQL 2000?

• Hi Joesph,

Yes, that's right. Seeing as it's possible to edit Jobs on a SQL 2000 server using the 2005 Management Studio, I assumed that it would be possible to do the same with the Maintenance Plans. Is this not the case? If not, how does one manage (and edit) a plan on a SQL 2000 Server using the 2005 Studio.

Thanks,

Drew

• Someone else must have tried to administer sql server 2000 maintenance plans from the 2005 management studio, surely. Has no one replied because no one knows, or because it's a really simple silly question?

Drew

• Are you using the latest product (i.e., the one that was released Nov. 7th)?  I had noticed that maintenance plans did not work with the April CTP, and since we are developing a product and beta testing, I just didn't try again.  I have since seen that maintenance plans work (new ones, created with 2005) but I have not tried to migrate any.  There is enough breadth of knowledge/experience here that I don't think your question is being treated as silly... and I'm quite sure that somebody knows   (just not me )

Cheers,

david russell

• Thanks for replying, David. I went to a Launch event last night, and asked one of Microsoft lot. You can't migrate, but creating new one's is so flexible and easy (using drag and drop objects for each task, creating a flow chart), I was assured it would be better to set them up from new.

Saying that, I seem to be able to edit Maintenance Plans on a SQL 2000 box if via a trusted connection and not SA.

• you're welcome.  it's nice to get the right answer and what better source than the horses mouth   I'm not sure I see a question there about trusted vs. sa; but it seems to be safe to say you installed with mixed-mode authentication, right?  At least with 2005 mixed-mode isn't as insecure as the older product; but Windows authentication is still recommended (by Microsoft, among others).  It is also a good idea to set things up without using "sa" as much as possible - even when you have to grant privileges to the account you do use.  "sa" holds the keys to the kingdom, and once it gets away from you it can cause problems.

Cheers,

david russell

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply