Maintenance Plan: Simple Recovery Model and Trans Backups

• I have a maintenance plan with a backup task for transaction logs. For database(s) I have selected "All user databases". This particular instance has one user database in Simple recovery mode. On the drop down menu for the target database(s) selection I noticed it specifies that "Databases with simple recovery will be excluded". This does not seem to be the case as this task is being reported as failing due to an attempted transactional backup on the Simple recovery database.

To my understanding the task should not have attempted to backup the simple database's transaction log as it should have been excluded to begin with. Am I correct or did I misunderstand something?

SQL Server 2005 SP2 (9.0.3077)

Thanks,

Zach

• I don't think the exclusion works. Are you post SP2 on 2005? There were some fixes in a couple of the hotfixes after SP2.

There are scripts here to help you do this, but if you want to use the maintenance plan, I'd specifically check the user dbs to back up. I don't know that this actually works if you add dbs as well. I know there were bugs with this in 2000. Not sure about 2005.

• I am unsure if any cumulative updates have been applied as the instance version is 9.0.3077 which according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960089/en-us is a security update for SP2.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply