maintenance plan issue

• Hi all,

I created a maintenance plan to optimize the database weekly. After optimizing the database would become bigger, and the transaction log file becomes too big, it takes most of our disk space so the transaction log file backup would be failed.

No matter how I select the optimizing option, the trans log file always too big. I should find other way to shrink the trans log file.

Anybody knows how to optimize the database without causing the trans log file too big?

Thanks in advance.

Robert

• I guess you can DUMP the transaction before kicking off the maintenance plan, then after the maintenance plan, you can check how much is the log. If its too big, you can DUMP the tran log again.

One Suggestion: Its better you take a backup before you run optimize, integrity jobs. So even if the database gets screwed while running these jobs, you will still have a backup.

Hope this helps!!!

Regards,

Murali Damera.

• Thanks for the reply.

I do backup the db everyday and the trans log file every hour. I optimize the db every Sunday. After optimizing, the trans log file grows too big. My db is about 40 GB, the log file will grow to 50 GB, it takes all free disk space. so the log file backup failed.

I must shrink the file once a week.

My question is: Is there anyway to keep the trans log file not so big or shrink it automatically after the optimizing?

Thanks!

Robert

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply