Maintenance plan fails with message The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

• I have a maintenance plan set up to do a number of maintenance tasks e.g full backup, check database integrity, reorganize indexes e.t.c. Some parts of the plan have been failing with the message The process cannot access the file 'C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\MSSQL.1\\MSSQL\\LOG\\ MaintenancePlan_Subplan_1_20090422220327.txt' because it is being used by another process.' The task will normally show that it was able to execute once then tried to re execute two, or three times and failed, i don't know why this happens, why it tries to re-execute, it looks like the fist time the process executes causes the subsequent execution of the same process to fail as the first process will still be using the file.

Any ideas what's causing this and how to resolve?

Sorry guys i am really new on Database Administration. I use SQL 2005

• Hi,

I'm getting the same message within my maintenance plan for full, differential, log backup. I too would like to know why. I set the plan up using the wizard as well. ANY suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

DB 🙂

• You can start from checking you tape backups schedules. If they run at the same time you can get this error. Sometimes antivirus can cause these errors as well. I usually exclude all SQL folders from Antivirus scanning.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply