Maintaining Different versions of SQL Server on same machine

• ravichandra.d@gmail.com

">

Hi there,

I would like to know how to maintain two different versions of sql server 2005.

Problem Description:

I am having SQL 2000 on win2k3 box and it is hosting 4 different databases serving for different applications which were old. And recently we've developed another application in .Net using SQL 2005.

THe problem came when I tried to install SQL 2005 in the target server with another instance.

And after installation, when I login to the SQL Server using SQL Server Management Studio by selecting the newly installed instance, I see that the SQL Server version as 8.00.194 instead of 9.x;

Please advice me with the action to be performed on this. This is a practical issue which has to be addressed with spl. attention.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards,

Ravi Chandra.

email me on: ravichandra.d@gmail.com

• While installing SQL 2k5 have you choose the option for upgrading...?

Abhijit - http://abhijitmore.wordpress.com

• I would assume that sql 2005 has installed as an instance, ssms will always tend to pick up the default instance first, you need to find the 2005 instance, look in services or config manager to find your instance name, then register that in ssms.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Hi, Thanks for your prompt reply.

I didn't perform an upgradation.

I have chosen the target installation directory to another drive with another instance name

Advice me with correct way to do the installation.

If I upgrade, I feel I am risking about my existing databases.

Because, I can't risk on client databases.

Thanks,

Ravi Chandra.

• -------------

I would assume that sql 2005 has installed as an instance, ssms will always tend to pick up the default instance first, you need to find the 2005 instance, look in services or config manager to find your instance name, then register that in ssms.

--------------

yes, you are correct. can you please guide me how to register the new instance in ssms? Thanks for your quick response.

Regards,

Ravi Chandra.

• look in services - the name of the instance will be there, sorry don't have an instance to hand to explain more.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Start -> Programs -> Microsoft SQL Server 2005 -> Configuration Tools -> SQL Server Configuration Manager

It'll show both SQL Server instances in there, default being 2000 (MSSQLSERVER), the other will be 2005

Or just use "Browse" in your SSMS Connection window, it should find both instances on localhost

SQLServerNewbieMCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
  • Hi,

Open the registry editor and check out the instance name HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Microsoft Sql Server and try to connect and check out the installed instances. It seems you had installed SQLExpress edition. I think you have to download seperate management studio for that. Check microsoft site

[font="Verdana"]Thanks
    Chandra Mohan[/font]

• Thanks for your reply. I have also tried with installing Enterprise version of MSSQL in Win2k3 Server. Please let me know the exact solution to this problem.

Hope to see a good response.

Thanks,

Ravi Chandra.

• I have installed Enterprise edition and identified the instance name and tried to connect to the instance and I see that the it has connected to the 8.0 database but not to SQL2005 9.0 database.

Help me.

Thanks,

Ravi Chandra.

• Hello Ravi,

IF I understand you correctly you have two instances of SQL server ( 1 - SQL 2000 / 2-SQL 2005)

and you have trouble registering SQL 2000 in your enterprise manager as it defaults to SQL 2005 installation. The problem here is you are not providing the exact instance name of SQL 2000 while registering in enterprise manager (in case of 200) or SQL management studio (in case of 2005)

To know the SQL 2000 Instance name follow these simple steps.

Try to open SQL Server Service Manager (Start --> Programs --> Microsoft SQL Server --> Service Manager). Under Services dropdown select SQL Server. Automatically on the SERVER Box (the one on top of Services dropdown) will show the SQL server 2000 instance name. Also ensure the SQL server service is started. Use the same name to register the SQL 2000 server in enterprise manager.

• [font="Verdana"]

Hi, Thanks for your good reply. It was a bit close to what my problem is.

But, the problem is exactly opposite to your answer. i.e., SQL 2000 is pre-installed and i am trying to install SQL 2005;

And for your information, I know the name of my SQL 2005 instance; which is given as $UDDI. When I try to connect to this instance, it is being connected and showing the version as 8.0. instead of 9.0.

To add more to the above point, I dont see the databases from SQL 2000; and also when I try to restore a 2005 database backup set, it says too many backup devices specified.

Hope, you are clear with this point and help me to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Ravi Chandra.

[/font]

• It's been a few months since I last did an install so I may not remember all the details correctly.

When you install a second instance of SQL Server on a machine it asks you if you want to install it as the default instance instance or as a named instance.

If had SQL 2000 as the default instance and you try to install SQL 2005, and you selected default instance, then it should try to upgrade your SQL 2000 instance.

If you selected named instance then it's going to install it will ask you for the instance name and will use the name you provide. So I do not understand why is there so much confusion about the instance name.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• hi,

you can give instance name to install different sql versions on same machine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply