Losing Saved Connections in SSMS 2016

• Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 13.0.16106.4

Hi ,

I am used to having saved connections in the Connect to Server popup.

For some reason my SQL Server management studio 2016 is not saving them anymore.  Please help me get saved connections back or get the connections to save again.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• I personally have found that the saved connections are often misleading and I've had them get blown out by updates. I prefer to set up registered servers, specifically a Central Management Server (CMS).

One huge advantage to this approach is that upgrades or updates to SSMS won't break CMS. If your computer dies on you and you get a new one, CMS will work. There is nothing that should break CMS. The connection history is a short list and can be blown out by various things. CMS, once set up, will work on old versions and new versions. I set it up on SQL 2008 R2 when I came into being a DBA and it continues to work on 2017 (as far as I can test due to limitations) and from what I've read, continues to work in 2022.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply