Looping through a table in DTS

• I have a table countries and a table companies.

I have a DTS package which exports a single countries companies to Excel and then zips the file and puts it on an intranet server.

I now want to create an individual for every country in the countries table.

I guess that I need to step through the countries table and update a global variable with the country code. How do I step through a table in DTS? or is there a better way?

• Take a look at the rowset return parameter in the ExecuteSQL task.

You can execute an SQL statement to return a list of countries and then assign that to a global variable. Then you use this global variable just like an ADO recordset.

Take a look at the following link,

http://www.sqldts.com/?298

Hope this helps

Phill Carter

--------------------

Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

--------------------

• Declare a cursor and use the fetch next statement.

Matthias

• Thanks for your replies, I went for the loop through a Rowset solution as it keeps everything in a DTS package.

Took me some time to fathom out how this works. Workflow scripts and output parameters are well hidden! But I guess that's my fault for jumping in the deep end. And given time I should work my way through the SQLDTS site which looks good.

I guess I will have to spend time studying the SQLDTS site which looks a good resource.

• Could do with a little bit more help please.

I adpated the example to step through my table and create a string.

Now I need to adapt this package so that it loops through my ActiveX Script and Transform Data Task.

What is the best way of doing this?

- Add a global variable which stores my country code?

- Add a workflow script to all the tasks in my loop as per example to test for oRs.EOF

?

• You don't need to add a workflow script to every task. Just the one after your Transform task. In that task you could use a workflow script or a task script.

Take a look at the looping article at,

http://www.sqldts.com/?246

Hope this helps

Phill Carter

--------------------

--------------------

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply