Logins for applications in SQL2005 across the web

• Glad I could help. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• You should also ask the developer about permissions required by the app(s) as this will dictate how tightly you can secure the logins. There really shouldn't be any need to connect with more than db_datareader, db_datawriter and exec permissions on procs; if that is not the case then the exceptions should be documented.

• matt stockham (4/21/2009)

You should also ask the developer about permissions required by the app(s) as this will dictate how tightly you can secure the logins. There really shouldn't be any need to connect with more than db_datareader, db_datawriter and exec permissions on procs; if that is not the case then the exceptions should be documented.

Again, this was my line of thinking. The db_datawriter & db_reader gives the 'users' that are external to the domain all the rights that I believe they currently have (i.e. right to connect, add, delete, modify etc)

• :w00t:

• Danb7183 (4/22/2009)The db_datawriter & db_reader gives the 'users' that are external to the domain all the rights that I believe they currently have (i.e. right to connect, add, delete, modify etc)

Depends on what's being deleted or modified. If it's just data, then you are correct. If it's objects, constraints, etc, or if they're executing stored procedures, there may be more permissions required.

Especially if they are executing Procs & Functions. You might consider creating roles that have Execute permissions on specific schemas or specific sets of Procs/Functions that you make the app's user login a member of. Otherwise, they can read & write data fine but they won't necessarily be able to execute the stuff needed to do the job.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Hi, with vb. net apps I think is better, for your co security, to control accesses to your site with app users, not with DB users. And you can programming in your site a monitoring app to control it. Also your boss can task you for monitor the app from his home. Then you will need vpn, secure communications, etc. But the principal part of this project, it's only my opinion, is the control from the web. The DB must be secure from external access.

Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply