Logical File Names

• Alvin Ramard (8/3/2015)

Ed Wagner (8/3/2015)

Sean Lange (8/3/2015)

Again lots of complaining. Come on people get over it. The question of the day is intended to provoke some learning. Guess what, as humans we learn more from our mistakes. Same goes for the QOTD. When you get it wrong you tend to remember it.

Yes this had a couple of options that might have been correct and we kind of had to guess. I got it wrong. Big deal.

For all of the complainers out there stating just how awful this question is please let us know when you are going post a QOTD so that we may nit pick your question to death.

I agree with you, but I can't resist, Sean. Here's my question:

2 + 2 = 4

Joe has 8 apples and his train is running 17 minutes late.

Bob wants to travel south for the weekend, but can't because his pet monkey is sick.

Calculate the mass of the sun. Show your work.

πŸ˜›

Answer is 43

I got 42.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Ed Wagner (8/3/2015)

Sean Lange (8/3/2015)

Again lots of complaining. Come on people get over it. The question of the day is intended to provoke some learning. Guess what, as humans we learn more from our mistakes. Same goes for the QOTD. When you get it wrong you tend to remember it.

Yes this had a couple of options that might have been correct and we kind of had to guess. I got it wrong. Big deal.

For all of the complainers out there stating just how awful this question is please let us know when you are going post a QOTD so that we may nit pick your question to death.

2 + 2 = 4

Bob wants to travel south for the weekend, but can't because his pet monkey is sick.

πŸ˜›

Answer is 43

I disagree. The answer is 42.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• oops, typo. Should have said 42

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• The formula for should be 42/purple but remember to carry the 2 πŸ™‚

There are no facts, only interpretations.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Ed Wagner (8/3/2015)

Sean Lange (8/3/2015)

2 + 2 = 4

πŸ˜›

Answer is 42

Edit: Corrected typo. Originally said 43 but correct answer is 42

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

(had to say it twice because the correct answer is 42!!)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I wish you all a good afternoon.

Answer Query 2 is incorrect because for ADD FILE it is required to enter File option FILENAME.

See syntax checking Query 2: Msg 1036, Level 15, State 1, Line 10

File option FILENAME is required in this CREATE/ALTER DATABASE statement.

Answer Query 3 is incorrect with specification OLDNAME. Correctly be NAME.

J.V.

• I agree. Query 3 is the MODIFY FILE while Query 2 is ADD FILE:

-- Query 1

ALTER DATABASE AdventureWorks2012

ADD FILE (NAME=ADW2012 REPLACES Adventureworks2012_data)

[highlight=#ffff11]

-- query 2

ADD FILE (NAME=AdventureWorks2012_data, NEWNAME=AWD2012 );

[/highlight]

[highlight=#ffff11]

-- query 3

MODIFY FILE (OLDNAME=AdventureWorks2012_data, Newname= AWD2012);

[/highlight]

-- query 4

ADD FILE (NEWNAME=AWD2012, OLDNAME=AdventureWorks2012_data );

• According to your option list, the 'Modify File' is in Query 3, not 2. So the correct answer is 3.

MCSE Data Platform; BI
    MCITP Database Developer; BI

• Almost got it right...

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Bobby Russell (8/3/2015)

The correct answer for today is incorrect. Steve must be hung over from the weekend. πŸ˜‰

LOL, that's funny. Maybe one in the past. This question went in a few weeks ago.

• Points awarded back and question corrected. My apologies for the error.

• And as a side note, I didn't try this from memory, or fail to test it. I changed the names of my logical files on an instance here.

However. Where things break down, and usually cause issues is when I try to create the wrong answers. I can't test those, since they don't compile. I guess I can test those, but her I was trying to create three alternatives of answers, and ended up editing the wrong one.

• Ed Wagner (8/3/2015)

2 + 2 = 4

πŸ˜›

O think there's too much disconnect in that after all, Steve's error did leave some connection between the question and possible answers. Perhaps it was just a simple typing erros - - after all, anyone could render a 6 letter word as just 3 letters (none of which occur in the original word), it can be caused by just a little of difficulty in getting the fingers to do the right things. I often find myself doing incorrect things like that when I've failed to imbibe sufficient alcolol to defeat the arthritis in my fingers (or is it when I haven't - I can't remember) πŸ˜€ .

Tom

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/4/2015)

And as a side note, I didn't try this from memory, or fail to test it. I changed the names of my logical files on an instance here.

However. Where things break down, and usually cause issues is when I try to create the wrong answers. I can't test those, since they don't compile. I guess I can test those, but her I was trying to create three alternatives of answers, and ended up editing the wrong one.

Steve, I am shocked, truly shocked, that you are not perfect. πŸ˜›

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply