Log shipping from sql 2008 to 2016?

• Hello,

We want to do a migration, these databases range from 100-500 gigs of data, and want to log ship from sql 2008 to sql 2016 enterprise, we tried already to setup with error saying something like need to put it standby without recovery etc., so wondering what solution did anyone or option did they get it to work with log shipping or a log shipping work around or alternative solution did anyone come up with if they faced a situation similar to mine?

thanks in advance

• how were you setting up the log shipping session, were you trying to use standby mode?
    To log ship between versions of sql you must leave the secondary database in restore mode.
    The Secondary must also be the higher version of sql server

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hey SSChampion, thanks for the response, ya 2008 is the primary and the 2014 is the secondary, so leave it as restore mode... with recovery, no recovery? I tried it with stand by and thats when it gave me the error message.

• has to be restore mode which is with no recovery.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Gotya thanks, I will try that out, thanks again 🙂

• Ok so to make things easier, and we tested, and worked beautifully, we went with mirroring, with this solution which is similar to log shipping, so big thanks SSChampion for your help 🙂

• Siten0308 - Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:44 PM

big thanks SSChampion for your help 🙂

btw, the person who helped you is Perry.
    Champion is just the forum ranking.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Mirroring and log shipping are not the same they work very differently

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Adding on a little...mirroring sends mistakes and "oops" moments to the mirror very quickly.   With LS, you have by default 15-45 minutes (jobs are set to 15 each) to keep the oops from restoring 🙂

Different techniques for different goals 🙂

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• In order to get SQL Mirroring working with asynchronous mode, do you have SQL Server 2008 and 2016 Enterprise edition?

Or can this work with between 2008 Standard edition and 2016 Datacenter edition?

I have SQL Server 2008 Standard Edition (primary) and SQL Server 2016 DataCenter Edition (secondary).

• Database mirroring Principal and Mirror have to be the same version

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply