log shipping

• hi,

i setup a sql 2000 server standard edition and the users have been using the apps for like 2 weeks now.  i've been doing some reading on log shipping as part of our disaster-recovery plan and i found out that its only available for enterprise edition of ms sql 2000.

then i came across another article that says i have to upgrade the os of the server first to enterprise edition coz ours is using windows 2003 server standard edition.

i didnt even thought of checking the os when i setup the ms sql.  does it follow that when ur os is standard and when you install ms sql it will also install a standard edition? 

if i still pursue using log shipping as the DS plan how can i fix my infrastructure without causing so much damage and interruptions?  is there an alternative DS plan that i can use besides log shipping?

thanks, would appreciate any ideas on this.

ann

• SS ENT Will run on Windows STD OR ENT Edition of 2003 so you wont need to upgrade your OS, even if one is ENT ED and the other is STD ED.

SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition can run on the following operating systems:

Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition1

Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition2

Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition3

Windows® 2000 Server

Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

So all you would really need to do, if you want to go down the log shipping for your DR, is to upgarde your SS to ENT edition, which other than the cost is not a really issue.

I hope this helps.

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• You could implement you're own log shipping with out the added expense of upgrading to Enterprise edition.

If you break down the tasks that are performed in log shipping it becomes a series of simple T-SQL statements.

Perform backup on production server 

Copy backup file to DR server (optional if your servers have acces to a central backup location)

Perform restore on DR server using WITH STANDBY clause (makes database read-only)

When then DR situation arises,

Restore database on DR server with NORECOVERY option

run the sp_change_users_login procedure to fix orphan users

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• i thought i need to upgrade my OS first before i can upgrade mg SS from standard to enterprise?  i think i read that somewhere.  coz if all i really need to do is upgrade the SS then i dont have any problem with that.   

• If you have no probs upgrading SS then thats fine, but Phil is right, you can setup log-shipping on SQL 7.0 or Standard Ed by breaking down the tasks as he has stated.

But it even easier than that! A Guy called BORK has written 3 great scripts to do it all for you. We implement many DR scenarios on systems without Enterprise edition using these scripts and its very easy even for a novice like me!

Script 1 - Creates the required tables in MSDB

Script 2 - Creates the copy job from primary to secondary

Script 3 - Creates the load job on the secondary

You can edit these scripts to meet your requirments, i.e server names, database names, copy/load intervals etc.

A search on google will guide you to these handy scripts..

Siz

• Setting up your own log shipping solution is not difficult, it just depends on how you want to set it up, I use a bunch of bat files to accomplish this and have never used MS's Build in log shipping. I have also created monitoring scripts to monitor the log shipping process. You should look into it instead of considering upgrading just so you can have log shipping.

• The guy called BORK is no other than microsoft BackOffice 4.5 Resource Kit

* Noel

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply