Log File is MASSIVE

• One last detail: Make sure you have adequate storage space for all those backups!

You need to balance the storage space necessary for keeping all those backups with how far back you might need to go to find something. If, for example, you're keeping only a few days of backups, and then you find a table was deleted a week ago and no-one noticed, you have a real problem.

You also need to separate your backups from your main data. You'll want to put your logs on a completely separate disk or disk subsystem to protect yourself in the case of a lost drive or RAID array.

I'm sure this is nothing you didn't already know, but it bears repeating. 🙂

Steve G.

• aureolin (11/27/2009)

You need to balance the storage space necessary for keeping all those backups with how far back you might need to go to find something.

Not just how far back you may need to go to find something. How long the law requires that the backups of financial data is kept. I seem to recall something about 7 years.....

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (11/27/2009)

aureolin (11/27/2009)

You need to balance the storage space necessary for keeping all those backups with how far back you might need to go to find something.

Not just how far back you may need to go to find something. How long the law requires that the backups of financial data is kept. I seem to recall something about 7 years.....

Good point! You need to think through your backup and retention strategy as much or even more thoroughly as your production database management strategy.

Steve G.

• GilaMonster (11/27/2009)

aureolin (11/27/2009)

For financial data, a typical legal requirement is 7yrs minimum. If your financials include lending - you may need to retain backups for up to 30yrs.

Restoring a 30yr tape is going to be a nightmare.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (11/25/2009)

GSquared (11/25/2009)

So, South Africa has never had riots?

Frequently. Often associated with strikes and demonstrations.

Never had a local power outage due to a thunderstorm or some idiot drunk-driving a truck into a transformer station?

Well, there were those 2-4 hour rolling blackouts a couple years back, because the power utility forgot to account for future growth when planning power stations.

Thunderstorms, not unless the lightning hits the substation. It happens, not too often.

We did have a week-long power outage in the centre of Johannesburg earlier this year, because some bright spark tried stealing power cables and set the tunnel on fire. Took ages to get the fire out, longer to replace all the damaged equipment

I specifically asked about riots first because I already knew the answer.

I also had read about the power supply issues. Too few educated engineers was another issue I read about on that one, not sure how accurate that was because the person stating it did have a political agenda on that point.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (11/30/2009)

Too few educated engineers was another issue I read about on that one, not sure how accurate that was because the person stating it did have a political agenda on that point.

Quite accurate. Has to do with our labour laws and education problems. Too many skilled people leaving the country, education system's not up to replacing them fast enough. Plus labour laws add legal restrictions to the offering of a job (company may be required to give the job to a less-skilled candidate)

Don't want to go into details, too much politics involved, not the right place.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply