Locking/Blocking

• Hi All!

I'm having some blocking issues I think. During the course of today, I started getting this error:

Server: Msg 1204, Level 19, State 1, Procedure spUpdateWins_new9, Line 61

The SQL Server cannot obtain a LOCK resource at this time. Rerun your statement when there are fewer active users or ask the system administrator to check the SQL Server lock and memory configuration.

This happened during heavy activity periods on my web site. The site is running on a Win 2K server with SQL Server on the same machine, P4 2GHz, 1GB RAM. Users on the site are pulling up pages that call stored procedures returning recordsets that are returned in table format. These stored procedure that is being called creates a temp table and fills it with the appropriate data from the regular tables.

While this is going on, I have an update stored procedure that goes through and updates the tables that the other stored procedures are drawing from. The update sp takes about 2 minutes to run and it runs about every 1/2 hour. The main table that gets updated has about 317000 rows but only about 26000 get updated during a run. Those 26000 are what the user stored procedures are pulling they're data from. My update procedure is using very large update statements.

I assume that this is a blocking issue.

Are there any pointers to avoid this type of issue?

Thanks in advance!

Larry

• BOL 2000: Error 1204

http://dbforums.com/arch/30/2003/7/855149

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply