local variable - any limitations of max characters?

• Hi,

I am trying the following:

Declare @test-2 varchar(8000)

Set @test-2='SELECT VIOXX_LastName + '' + VIOXX_FirstName + ''  + CONVERT(varchar(50), VIOXX_Number) AS PlaintiffsName, VIOXX_Number

FROM tblPlaintiff WHERE     VIOXX_Number NOT IN(SELECT     VIOXX_Number FROM          tblCase_Plaintiff)  OR

VIOXX_Number  IN (SELECT     tblCase_Plaintiff.VIOXX_Number FROM tblCase INNER JOIN tblCase_Plaintiff ON tblCase.Case_Number = tblCase_Plaintiff.Case_Number

WHERE      (tblCase.Status = ''InActive'')) ORDER BY VIOXX_Number, VIOXX_LastName'

When I exec the following:

Select  @test-2

I got the following result:

SELECT VIOXX_LastName + ' + VIOXX_FirstName + '  + CONVERT(varchar(50), VIOXX_Number) AS PlaintiffsName, VIOXX_Number

FROM tblPlaintiff WHERE     VIOXX_Number NOT IN(SELECT     VIOXX_Number FROM          tblCase_Plaintiff)  OR

VIOXX_Number  IN (SELECT

Any ideas? Any limitations on the number of characters for a local variable in TSQL?

Thanks in advance.

• That 8000 characters includes white space and some white space characters can break your SQL.

The only problems I have had are when unicode text (which takes twice as much space) gets truncated.

• The problem is not with the white space. I did a 'Select len(@Test)' and I got 434, which is not even 10 percent of the 8000 characters.

• Query Analyzer --> Tools --> Options --> Results --> Maximum Characters per Column.

It's probably correct, it's just truncating the 1 colimn result at 256 Characters !!!!!!

KlK

• use

print @test-2

rather than

select @test-2

so that you do not have to concern yourself with the maximum column limit set within the Query Analyzer Results option.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply