Linking SQL Server 2k with Oracle

• I'm trying to link to an Oracle DB. I have installed the Oracle client tools and followed the advice given by Red-Gate http://www.red-gate.com/sql/more/linked_servers.htm

But I'm getting Error 73999: OLE DB provider 'MSDAORA' reported an error.

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'MSDAORA' IDBInitialize:: Initialize returned 0x80004005:] when I use the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle

And when I use the Oracle OLE DB Provider for Oracle

Error 7399: OLE DB provider 'OraOLEDB.Oracle' reported an error.

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'OraOLEDB.Oracle' IDBInitialize::Initialize retured 0x80004005:]

Can anyone hint at what might be causing my headaches?

Sharing knowledge saves valuable time!
    Simon Martin

• If I remember rightly, this error is very vague in what it actually means and can be the result of several completely different things.

I had the same message when trying to create a linked server to an access db. One of the issues turned out to be permissions either for the file/directory (as it was access) or within the database for the user. However I think there may have been other contributing factors.

Sorry I can be anymore precise. I encountered this whilst at my old job and therefore don't have access to any of the information I discovered regarding it. I also seem to have wiped it from my memory.

However I did find solutions on the net (I though it might have been from this site actually) which helped me solve the problem(s).

• I  understand your frustration. We actually had the same problem.

What we did at the end was to install the latest Oracle client tools in the machine that hosts SQL Server instance from which you are going to LINK the Oracle Server.

After you install the Client make sure that you reboot the machine.

I hope this helps.

• Thanks for the ideas.

Still no joy even with the Oracle tools installed on my PC (also have SQL server 2k installed). I don't want to install more than is necessary on the actual servers (hence trying it out on my system first)

I've found quite a few links for setting up the link - but very few on troubleshooting the problems with it.

Sharing knowledge saves valuable time!
    Simon Martin

• Sometimes the Oracle lient connections can very sensitive to service pack changes.  Have you updated your service pack of SQL Server lately?  And if yes, does it coincide with the Oracle link failure?

I know some people have had issues when they went to 3a with linked servers.      Just an idea.......

• OK, we just solved this same issue - today.

Here is what was done:

Look for Oracle Bulletin "Note:215255.1"

Then install Oracle Client 92040 Patch and manualy add permissions to ORACLE_HOME directory, then reboot server.

...hope that does it for you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply