Linked Servers not timing out

• hi -

i have a native linked server on my sql 2008 r2 which points to another sql 2008 r2. with any combination of setting the linked server query timeout from 0 to 5 and connection timeout from 0 to 5 and changing the sp_configure remote query timeout from 0 to 5 i can not get my query to timeout.

what are the needed settings to get a native linked server query to timeout?

thanks all

• I have a question first. Has the connection EVER worked between them? Not just timing out but connections in general or ones that change some data?

My first though would be that the MS DTC is not configured to allow remote transactions. I have seen those cases NEVER timeout regardless of the other settings.

CEWII

• yes, i havent had any issues querying other servers. you think its a ms dtc setting?

• Yes, I ran into this kind of problem before. On the remote end check to make sure that Network DTC Access is allowed, I'd probably look at another server of similar OS version that works to mimic..

CEWII

• no dice..network dtc access is on, allow inbound / outbound is on w/ mutual authentication..enable XA is on and the DTC logon uses network service..

the os's are similar in that they are virtual, just the cpu and memory are the main differences

• Firewall is the next place to look..

CEWII

• just confirmed with the network team that the local windows firewalls are not on and that there are no firewalls turned on between the 2 servers working together over the LAN.

interesting article from Ken Henderson about 'no such thing as query timeouts'

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/khen1234/archive/2005/10/20/483015.aspx

what im trying to achieve is to have a process cut off after X minutes. it just so happens all of these processes run via linked servers.

• As long as rows are being returned or it reports it is doing something it will not time-out. What you are asking for is not a typical time-out. I can think of a couple ways to do this but I'm not sure you should be doing it.

CEWII

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply