Link to SQL Server

• Hi there from the Newbie! I would like to ask some questions about SQL Server 2005 and Ms Access. In the company I work we have an SQL Server that we enter Data and create some reports. So now I have to create a database in access or to modify the one we have and to make this access database to communicate with the main SQL database. This database would be distributed to some individuals to work offline and send as the data via xml or another way. So ,my Question, is how am going to create the database in access? the tables must have the same name in access with the ones that SQL already has, in order to update the data? Can someone guide me in this process on how am going to design the access database and how am going to update the data after in the SQL…

Feel free to write any extra thoughts that come into your mind

Thanks

• A quick way would be to use DTS or SSIS to tranfer the table to Access. 

• this is REALLY easy.  Import the table into access.  If it is a large table then import a portion via a make table query.

I assume you know how to link tables from Access to sql server?

• Yes guys if you have done this before it is very easy. I tried to link the database with the Sql but the relationships didn't copy can you guide a noob?

• Any relations defined in a SQL Diagram won't "transfer" to a relations diagram in Access.  It just doesn't from what I've seen.  Meaning - they're still enforced on the SQL Server side - but they're not "volunteered" in queries like "native" ones.

Of course - although it's a bit more work - you certainly can create a relations diagram in Access matching the one on SQL server.  Those will be remembered next time you add two related tables to a query window.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• If you can do your link using an Access ADP, then the diagrams do come across. 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply