Link SQL Server 2014 to a Progress Database, is it possible?

• Hello Everyone,

i was tasked with a weird question, and sorta told them it is possible, or could be, but, is it really possible to link a Sql server 2014 to a Progress Database?

what the main goal is to replicate data daily from Progress database to SQL server which will be the warehouse, but not sure if that is possible? I checked online, on progress website, i did try some of there methods:

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P120484

but so far, it has not worked for me, which i did option 1 and 2, 1 seemed to be close, there is a Progress Open Edge 10.2A driver, and another weird one called "OpenEdge 10.2A ODBC wire protocol Driver for MS SQL Server", which if i put anything in there, it will always say "Connection Established", again weird, i can put any database name or any name for that matter and it will work, so i assume this wont be best.

any help, any suggestions or anyone with history on how to do this will be helpful 🙂

• UPDATE: I got it to work, when creating the ODBC... it helps if you hit ok or Apply to create the connection, Me = Idiot, anyways got it to work, BUT now, i try to query it from SQL Management studio, but running into an error saying:

Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 7
    The OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "Progress" reported an error. Access denied.
    Msg 7350, Level 16, State 2, Line 7
    Cannot get the column information from OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "Progress".

I tried to restart SQL services, i tried to restart Progress database server, no luck, i double check the connection to the ODBC, its good, but, maybe the user account, but not sure how to check though on progress side 🙁

• Siten0308 - Saturday, December 9, 2017 9:00 PM

UPDATE: I got it to work, when creating the ODBC... it helps if you hit ok or Apply to create the connection, Me = Idiot, anyways got it to work, BUT now, i try to query it from SQL Management studio, but running into an error saying:

Msg 7399, Level 16, State 1, Line 7
    The OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "Progress" reported an error. Access denied.
    Msg 7350, Level 16, State 2, Line 7
    Cannot get the column information from OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "Progress".

I tried to restart SQL services, i tried to restart Progress database server, no luck, i double check the connection to the ODBC, its good, but, maybe the user account, but not sure how to check though on progress side 🙁

Did you do the following steps from the cited document correctly?

4) Go to the Security tab, choose the radio button associated with "Be made using this security context" and enter the "Remote login" and "With password" of the progress SQL92 user as supplied in the ODBC DSN.
    5) Click OK. 

After that, did you right click on the linked server and select the "Test Connection" button?

Also, are you RDCd into the server itself or trying to do this from, say, your laptop using local SSMS logged into the server?  If so, you may simply be a victim of the Kerberos Double-Hop protection feature.  Try doing the same thing after you RDC into the SQL Server and see if it works.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hey Jeff,

big thanks for replying, also good catches, yes i double check to make sure i had that part "4) Go to the Security tab, choose the radio button associated with ""Be made using this security context" and enter the "Remote login" and "With password" of the progress SQL92 user as supplied in the ODBC DSN.
    5) Click OK. "
    was in there and double check the user name and password making user it worked and wasn't an issue. Also i did test the connection and it said "The Test Connection to the linked Server succeeded." so that is good. just weird again, if i try running a query like:
    select *
    from OpenQuery([Progress],'Select * from pub.customer')

then it will give me that error message.

any other input will only help, thank you all in advance and thank you Jeff 🙂

• Small update, now when i run query:
    select *
    from OpenQuery([Progress],'Select * from customer')

i get this error message below:

OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "Progress" returned message "[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]Table/View/Synonym not found (7519)".
    Msg 7321, Level 16, State 2, Line 7
    An error occurred while preparing the query "Select * from customer" for execution against OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "Progress".

so looks like its not finding the table? weird thing is, i know there is a table called customer in the database, i know it, i seen it, i even query it in Progress database, but when i try it in SQL, it gives me that error message 🙁

• YAY I got it to work 🙂

ok so it was 2 things, first the access denied, in this article:

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000026672

the second issue i ran into was, i need to query it, not like a typical nice query, but the article below will explain in detail:
    https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P119210

big thanks and thank you jeff 🙂 i agree, some things you definitely need to make sure and follow all the steps 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply