Licensing - Multiplexing

• I have reviewed the SQL Server 2008 licensing guide (http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/licensing.aspx) and just want to ensure I understand this.

I have SQL Server installed on an application server for a given solution. Access to the actual DB (on a separate server) is done through the linked server on application server. I know.... very odd config. The only thing SQL Server is used for on the app server is to connect to the prod DB via a linked server. Moronic vendor solution..... do not ask.

The access to the linked server all occurs as a single service account, but 250 people use the app server for this functionality. Since multiplexing is not allowed, I need CALS for those 250 users, correct?

• SQLDBA-973159 (3/8/2010)

I have reviewed the SQL Server 2008 licensing guide (http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/licensing.aspx) and just want to ensure I understand this.

I have SQL Server installed on an application server for a given solution. Access to the actual DB (on a separate server) is done through the linked server on application server. I know.... very odd config. The only thing SQL Server is used for on the app server is to connect to the prod DB via a linked server. Moronic vendor solution..... do not ask.

The access to the linked server all occurs as a single service account, but 250 people use the app server for this functionality. Since multiplexing is not allowed, I need CALS for those 250 users, correct?

Short answer, yes.

Before purchasing 250 CALs, however, do a cost/benefit analysis between the per user cost and the per processor cost of SQL Server 2008. One thing you didn't mention is what version of SQL Server are you using; Workgroup, Standard, or Enterprise. How many processors (not cores) are on the target server? Depending on your answers, you may look at licensing your server per processor instead of per user.

Best course of action, contact Microsoft to get the information you directly from the horses mouth.

• In case you go for the per core licenses, you need per core license in both servers or only in the first one?

• Please post new questions in a new thread. Thanks

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply