License questions

• dmoutray (10/7/2011)

The exact wording in the Microsoft document is "Each Server License for SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise permits you to run the software in up to four (4) Operating System Environments (physical and/or virtual).

I think, no I know, you're confused. What this means is if you had a physical server with 4 CPUs and Windows Server 2008 and you licensed all the CPUs in the host for SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. You're running HyperV and have 6 virtual machines each with 2 virtual CPUs, you may run unlimited virtual SQL Servers and install SQL Server instances on the physical host Windows 2008 server.

It does not mean you may install SQL Server instances on 4 separate physical boxes!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" πŸ˜‰

• Perry Whittle (10/8/2011)

dmoutray (10/7/2011)

The exact wording in the Microsoft document is "Each Server License for SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise permits you to run the software in up to four (4) Operating System Environments (physical and/or virtual).

I think, no I know, you're confused. What this means is if you had a physical server with 4 CPUs and Windows Server 2008 and you licensed all the CPUs in the host for SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise. You're running HyperV and have 6 virtual machines each with 2 virtual CPUs, you may run unlimited virtual SQL Servers and install SQL Server instances on the physical host Windows 2008 server.

It does not mean you may install SQL Server instances on 4 separate physical boxes!!!!

Well, I am going to end up calling Microsoft, just to resolve this debate! πŸ™‚

However, i do know from the SQL 2008 R2 licensing documentation that you are no longer allowed to install the software on unlimited virtual servers on the same physical box. There was a licensing model for that with SQL 2008, but it is no longer available, unless you can grandfather it in. (For example, if you have that licensing model with SQL 2008 and you have software assurance, you could use the same licensing model with SQL 2008 R2.)

• Could you update the information on this post after you checked with microsoft?

Thanks much

• sqlfriends (10/8/2011)

Could you update the information on this post after you checked with microsoft?

Thanks much

Sure! I'll be at the PASS conference this week. I'll pigeonhole some of the Microsofties there.

I think this is a pretty amusing thread. If you want to spark a real lively debate, just ask a question about licensing! πŸ˜›

• Sorry my bad yes,

2008 R2 datacenter edition unlimited VMs.

2008 R2 enterprise edition up to 4 VMs.

However, you will find that what I stated above otherwise is correct.

Think, there is no way that licensing one physical server allows you to install on 4 other physicals. The virtual\physical is based solely on the one host and the virtual licensing assumes you are using HyperV. This does not extend to VMWare ESX as although you licence the physical host you cannot install SQL server on the host OS πŸ˜‰

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Lynn Pettis (10/7/2011)

For a test server (non production) you can purchase the Developer Edition for about $50.

If the testers are not changing anything in the database, just running the application to ensure it works, they don't need a license. Any one making changes to database objust would, but at $50, that isn't too expensive.

Oh, and that is list price, you may find it cheaper if you look.

I'm pretty sure that the rule for the Developer's Edition is that EVERY seat using the server must have a separate license of the Developer's Edition. That's not a bad idea, anyway.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (10/8/2011)

Lynn Pettis (10/7/2011)

For a test server (non production) you can purchase the Developer Edition for about $50.

If the testers are not changing anything in the database, just running the application to ensure it works, they don't need a license. Any one making changes to database objust would, but at $50, that isn't too expensive.

Oh, and that is list price, you may find it cheaper if you look.

I'm pretty sure that the rule for the Developer's Edition is that EVERY seat using the server must have a separate license of the Developer's Edition. That's not a bad idea, anyway.

I think Jeff is right. It's each person using the Dev edition, not each server. So you can buy 4 Dev edition licenses for 4 people (developers or testers) and have 6 or 8 or 100 instances on 6 workstations installed for testing. As long as it's just those 4 people testing.

• I'll have to reread the EULA for the developer edition, but when I was looking at for our test servers at D11 I am pretty sure that users testing an application on a test server running DE did not not need a license for DE as they were not changing database objects. The developers on the other hand did need to have licensed copies of DE. I made sure each developer did, especially since DEonly cosr the district about $7.00 per copy.

• In SQL Server 2008 R2, developer is licenced and featured the same as datacenter. You can have as many testers connect as required. The key point of the licence terms are that its not for production use.

• So is my statement below correct?

For testing server, as long as each developer who connect to the testing server have a dev edition license, the server doesn't need a license itself.

Also because our production server is standard edition, for the testing server we also want to install Standard edition instead of developer edition, in this case we don't need to buy standard edition license for the testing server, correct? This is because each developer has a license.

Thanks

• Perry Whittle (10/8/2011)

In SQL Server 2008 R2, developer is licenced and featured the same as datacenter. You can have as many testers connect as required. The key point of the licence terms are that its not for production use.

I'm not sure I understand the first two sentences of above statement.

Thanks

• sqlfriends (10/8/2011)

Perry Whittle (10/8/2011)

In SQL Server 2008 R2, developer is licenced and featured the same as datacenter. You can have as many testers connect as required. The key point of the licence terms are that its not for production use.

I'm not sure I understand the first two sentences of above statement.

Thanks

What don't you understand?

• sqlfriends (10/8/2011)

For testing server, as long as each developer who connect to the testing server have a dev edition license, the server doesn't need a license itself.

You're referring to CAL licensing here which is not applicable to developer edition.

sqlfriends (10/8/2011)

for the testing server we also want to install Standard edition instead of developer edition, in this case we don't need to buy standard edition license for the testing server, correct?

Wrong, a developer licence does not grant a licence to install\use standard edition. Developer is a fully featured\unrestricted suite of SQL Server but it is not for production use.

At the end of the day to be sure contact you're nearest Microsoft licensing agent

• I heard from another DBA, for a testing server which is only used for testing not for production, as long as the each developer using the testing server has a developer edition on their own box, then the testing server doesn't need a license, for it is only used for testing.

• Processor License.

A Processor License is required for each processor installed on each operating system environment running SQL Server or any of its components (for example, Analysis Services). It includes access for an unlimited number of users or devices to connect from either inside or outside the firewall. Customers do not need to purchase additional client access licenses (CALs) when licensed under the per processor model.

Processor licenses are available in Enterprise, Standard, Web and Workgroup editions and offer more simplicity for certain scenarios.

MULTICORE

Multicore processors, which consist of multiple processing execution units or β€œcores” on one chip, are seen as a promising way to boost computing power. Microsoft has been driving thought leadership in this area by charging the same amount per processor, regardless of how many cores are in the processor.

VIRTUALIZATION AND MULTI-INSTANCING

Virtualization is defined broadly as the running of software on a β€œvirtual environment.” A virtual environment takes place when an operating system (OS) is somehow emulated, or does not run directly on the physical hardware.

When software is virtualized, one or several applications and their associated operating systems can run on one physical server inside their respective virtual environments. One of the benefits of a virtualized scenario is that multiple applications can run concurrently on a server with isolation at the OS level.

An option to virtualizing software is multi-instancing. In this case, multiple copies of an application run concurrently on a single copy of an OS. Multi-instancing for SQL Server 2008 can take place both in a virtual environment or in a physical environment. While multi-instancing offers a relatively high degree of isolation between copies of SQL2008, this isolation takes place at the application level (instead of at the OS level).

For enterprise edition there is an added option: if all physical processors in a machine have been licensed, then you may run unlimited instances of SQL server 2008 in one physical and an unlimited number of virtual operating environments on that same machine.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply