Lessons from Little Green Army Men

• Excellent story! I really enjoyed that.

Dave

• Gary Varga (2/19/2016)

lshanahan (2/19/2016)

Awesome example of being being a real father and a real man...

...Kids need their dads every bit as much as they need their moms...

Both true and key points. I was fortunate enough to have both parents try to be there as much as they could and I am a better person for it. They even did well enough that I understand the times when they "failed" to be there (life is like that).

Parents certainly aren't perfect and neither is life - but all too often the stories we see and hear are misrepresentations or even outright ridicule of true, authentic fatherhood and motherhood. It is refreshing to have a story of someone taking advantage of an opportunity to step into true parenting. I wonder how society as a whole would be different if we heard and celebrated more stories like this. It wouldn't lead to perfection, but I do honestly believe we'd all be better off to some extent.

• I don't think we'll get very far by trying to demonstrate things "how they should be", particularly if we could be following accepted behaviour ourselves.

Rather, I feel it's better to give all our children - girls and boys equally - the ability and the confidence to think clearly for themselves, and to accept other people's opinions on the merit they see in them, rather than on the force or popularity they carry. In that way, future generations will be able to recognise problems generally when they see them, and they'll be able to work together to improve.

It's a strange feeling if your children pull you up for something. But it's immensely satisfying that they see the problem and that they have the confidence in themselves, and the trust in you to point it out 🙂

• richlion2 (2/19/2016)

Yet another blog type article, why do people feel compelled to tell every possible story they have to tell? No toy women soldiers? So what? It's one of those linkedin keeps sending, a lot of wasted space. I suggest we stick to SQL-Server topics and leave blogging to facebook.

Actually in a way it is quite relevant. One of the big dicussions (at least in recent years if not prior) is the prevalence of women - or lack thereof - as data professionals. If Andy had taken his daughter to an IT shop like as not the staff would be predominately if not exclusively male. We could quibble all day about why that is but in the end I believe having kids exposed to various careers even at an early age is not a Bad Thing.

Not everyone has the ability or desire to do what we do as data professionals - but there is absolutely nothing wrong with giving a young child a peek at it in a way appropriate to their level of understanding so that someday they may want to give it a go.

Which is *exactly* what Andy did and is to be commended for.

Nuf sed.

• More applause.

• lshanahan (2/19/2016)

Awesome example of being being a real father and a real man. Something we see far too little of these days. Kids need their dads every bit as much as they need their moms.

Applause.

Absolutely. I read an interesting news article recently about how certain segments of society are trying to blame certain groups for other group's problems, specifically poverty. When you look at the real root causes, the single commonality is that children who grow up with both a mother and father are far more likely to be successful and not end up in poverty, as compared to children who are unfortunate enough to only have a single parent.

Single parents typically work really hard to raise their kids - but nothing beats having a mom and a dad as role models.

Dave

• Andy Warren (2/19/2016)

lshanahan, I wonder if it isn't that the fathers don't tell the stories as much?

Double up vote!

Dave

• richlion2 (2/19/2016)

Yet another blog type article, why do people feel compelled to tell every possible story they have to tell? No toy women soldiers? So what? It's one of those linkedin keeps sending, a lot of wasted space. I suggest we stick to SQL-Server topics and leave blogging to facebook.

Frequently I come across blog posts here that I find irrelevant. I simply delete the email and move on. Our society has a huge issue with thinking that we have a right to not be offended. The way to handle that is the delete button.

Dave

• djackson 22568 (2/19/2016)

... Our society has a huge issue with thinking that we have a right to not be offended. The way to handle that is the delete button.

OMG, aint that the truth - on both counts!

• I don't disagree about delete, but what any site/magazine should aspire is that most of their content is relevant to the target audience, in a way that they see as relevant. If you delete 1 in 10 perhaps, its noise. If you delete some greater number, then...maybe you lose that reader. That might be ok, might be an unintended loss. Not withdrawing my editorial, I think it fits, but I like to learn about where the boundaries are.

• Andy Warren (2/19/2016)

I don't disagree about delete, but what any site/magazine should aspire is that most of their content is relevant to the target audience, in a way that they see as relevant. If you delete 1 in 10 perhaps, its noise. If you delete some greater number, then...maybe you lose that reader. That might be ok, might be an unintended loss. Not withdrawing my editorial, I think it fits, but I like to learn about where the boundaries are.

Sure, but if we could move this to another level for a moment...

There are sites on the Internet that have been taken over by groups who want to force their agenda on everyone. Please don't let that happen here. For example, Steve does bring up "women in technology" often. He and I have a slightly different view. It is perfectly fine for him and I to debate the merits of the topic. It isn't OK for me to try to force my views on SSC. Steve should of course listen to what people have to say, but in the end, SSC needs to maintain the focus of SSC, not my focus. If I (get hit really hard in the head and ) happen to feel that women should not be in technology, Steve should not change the site to accommodate that view. If I feel only women should be allowed in technology he should ignore that as well. Steve tries to maintain a balance that I think is pretty good, but allowing one or more of us to control what he posts is not appropriate.

Now of course that example is deliberately extreme, but to bring it back on point, you wrote a blog about something that is important to you. While you didn't necessarily spoon feed us as to how it relates to technology, I think a number of us picked up on that. Your post was appropriate for what SSC typically has to say, was entertaining, and uplifted our spirits today. IMO, you did good.

I frequently see simple cartoons posted as the blog, and I don't always care for those. When that happens, I simply move on. SSC is my go to site for everything SQL Server. I don't let cartoons influence my choice of sites for content.

Dave

• A story about Andy playing with a small girl using little green army men? I feel like I've seen that somewhere else. A movie perhaps? 😀

Thanks for the nice editorial.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • When young children are deep into some game or puzzle, they somehow make time slow down, stretching a single rainy afternoon into an eternity. As adults we somehow lose that ability ourselves, but for those of us fortunate enough to spend some of our time with them in their little world, it can be a wonderful learning experience for both.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• lshanahan (2/19/2016)

Awesome example of being being a real father and a real man. Something we see far too little of these days. Kids need their dads every bit as much as they need their moms.

I totally agree.

• Great article, Andy; thanks for sharing.

ps - I'm teaching my kids chess, now that's where you find how damn smart they are becoming! 😀

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply