Latches and Access Violations

• I have a misbehaving server (2 processors hyperthreaded, 4GB RAM, AWE enabled, Windows 2003, SQL Server 2000 Enterprise SP3) that's got me particularly frustrated. I keep getting a series of seemingly random access violations (c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION. SQL Server is terminating this process) intermingled with a large amount of latch warnings (WARNING: EC 58ff94f8, 0 waited 900 sec. on latch 4fb17f0. Not a BUF latch).

Every KB article I've read about these errors seems to point to issues resolved in SP3, which we are already running. I had a problem similar to this with one of my other servers a year or so ago which I resolved with MS Support. It was determined to be a hardware issue (disk controller related) which disappeared when the correct firmware and drivers were applied. We've taken this server down and done every kind of hardware check we can think of, as far as my sysadmins can tell it's a perfectly healthy server.

Has anyone seen this behavior? It doesn't render the server unusable, for the most part it performs quite well. It sometimes becomes sluggish when the access violations occur which can cause some hiccups in our applications. The procedures that cause the violations run continuously throughout the day, most of the time without issue.

The greatest obstacle to transforming the world is that we lack the clarity and imagination to conceive that it could be different. -- Roberto Unger

• I can't say that I've seen this particular issue, but anytime I see Latch warnings like this I immediately suspect the IO subsystem. 

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• Absolutely, that was my first thought. But my sysadmins assure me that the firmware is all up to date and the disks are fine. I've seen the latch warnings before, and in some cases are safe to ignore, but these access violations are causing other problems. They may not be related, but I suspect there is something going on here that I'm missing...

The greatest obstacle to transforming the world is that we lack the clarity and imagination to conceive that it could be different. -- Roberto Unger

• Unfortunately, aside from applying the latest SP those access violations generally indicate that you need to get out your credit card and call PSS.

In all fairness, I have always had a positive experience with PSS and on the handfull of occasions that I have called them, it's always been worth the dime.

/*****************

If most people are not willing to see the difficulty, this is mainly because, consciously or unconsciously, they assume that it will be they who will settle these questions for the others, and because they are convinced of their own capacity to do this. -Friedrich August von Hayek

*****************/

• Have your server admins executed memory tests ? (In particular a memory march test. I've seen bad, but intermittently bad, wreak havoc on a server. The only reason I mention this is because you've assured us that the disks and associated disk controller(s) are fine.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Hi,

I was having the same problem, so i called the MS tech support, this is the scoop.

If you try to install MS SQL 2000 with SP3a on a Windows 2003 server wit AWE or PAE enable a resulting failure of the IO may occur resulting in the error you are geeting a simple hotfix will resolve this problem. you can find this hotfix at the following location.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838765

Hope this will help you

Vincent Blain

• Add to previous post the hotfix in the post before has been replaced by the latest security update and is now included in this newest hotfix

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=206E9842-997D-45E4-9252-61F3CE5EA66C&displaylang=en

• Yes, they did a memory check and that came up clean.

• Thank you very much, I'll check that out!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply