Knowing Your Total Reward

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Knowing Your Total Reward

• What agreat article and topic. I read and digested everything you wrote , and I have a few take aways , but more of a story. Some of it seems sad to me because so many of us have worked hard our entire lives , and only restricted  by a companies culture or policies. I gave worked in the data industry for over 27 years, and Just recently I found something that would make all the sacrifices we make worth while.  I found my purpose , and in my purpose none of this matters ..  vacation tine ... health benefits .  Tine off . These are things we worry about that never drive or deliver purpose . Once you find your purpose every job you have, every obstacle you face, merely becomes a step in the direction you are headed . Most people want three things in life . Financial freedom, serve importantly and to ultimately feel like they are making progress. When we have these things in our lives we have happiness. Hapinees really is achieved when you have found your purpose . Thanks for writing this article, and I wish everyone a day filled with progress.

• My own experience fits your story pretty well.  Early in my career the job changes, whether within the company or from one company to another, were all about increased compensation.  As revenue increased and family size increased, other considerations became more important.  Increased time off and reducing the commute became important. For a while I was looking for a non-profit to work for because I wanted to make the world a better place, but I was never able to find one that fit my job skills and desired work.  I've also realized I don't want to work for a large, soulless company anymore.  I left my last employer because they were large and soulless, and were pushing the identity politics crap. The employer I'm at now is a good fit for me, though not perfect.  There are many things I like about it, and the good pay is only a smaller part of it.  I am hoping it'll break my streak of 3 - 4 years at a place before deciding to move on.

Be still, and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10

• My employment record is a bit of an outlier in that I have close to 30 years in IT at the same employer.  Part of that longevity can be attributed to my having always valued my total compensation over just my salary.  For their part, the company I've worked for has pushed (and published) the value of the benefits they provide employees.  Exactly which parts of my total compensation that matter most to me has changed over time, but I've always valued the non-salaried parts.  As I reach the home stretch of my career things like my traditional pension, allotted vacation time, very flexible work schedule, and company stability matter much more to me than paycheck growth.  All part of getting older I guess.

• kevinmillerdba wrote:

What agreat article and topic. I read and digested everything you wrote , and I have a few take aways , but more of a story. Some of it seems sad to me because so many of us have worked hard our entire lives , and only restricted  by a companies culture or policies. I gave worked in the data industry for over 27 years, and Just recently I found something that would make all the sacrifices we make worth while.  I found my purpose , and in my purpose none of this matters ..  vacation tine ... health benefits .  Tine off . These are things we worry about that never drive or deliver purpose . Once you find your purpose every job you have, every obstacle you face, merely becomes a step in the direction you are headed . Most people want three things in life . Financial freedom, serve importantly and to ultimately feel like they are making progress. When we have these things in our lives we have happiness. Hapinees really is achieved when you have found your purpose . Thanks for writing this article, and I wish everyone a day filled with progress.

Thanks, and glad you enjoyed it. This was something I've thought about a lot since reading Drive: https://amzn.to/48jyLIB

• TL wrote:

My employment record is a bit of an outlier in that I have close to 30 years in IT at the same employer.  Part of that longevity can be attributed to my having always valued my total compensation over just my salary.  For their part, the company I've worked for has pushed (and published) the value of the benefits they provide employees.  Exactly which parts of my total compensation that matter most to me has changed over time, but I've always valued the non-salaried parts.  As I reach the home stretch of my career things like my traditional pension, allotted vacation time, very flexible work schedule, and company stability matter much more to me than paycheck growth.  All part of getting older I guess.

30 years is impressive and glad you've had a good career. I wish that on more people

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply