KB5029375 - SQL Server 2017 GDR

• I have been trying, on and off, to install the latest CU/GDRs on test servers since Friday by obtaining the updates from:

Latest updates and version history for SQL Server - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

I have had no problem with SQL2019 CU23 or the SQL2016 GDR.

I cannot get the SQL2017 GDR to install. My current version of SQL2017 is:

Microsoft SQL Server 2017 (RTM-CU31-GDR) (KB5029376) - 14.0.3465.1 (X64) Jul 30 2023 15:31:58 Copyright (C) 2017 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Standard 10.0 <X64> (Build 14393: ) (Hypervisor)

The KB number for this is greater than the KB number for the GDR which might explain my problem. (This could have been installed via Windows Update by our admin team; something over which I have no control.)

When I try to install SQLServer2017-KB5029375-x64.exe interactively it comes up with:

There are no SQL Server instances or shared features that can be updated on this computer.

When I try quiet mode it comes up with:

The following error occurred:

No features were updated during the setup execution. The requested features may not be installed or features are already at a higher patch level. Please review the summary.txt logs for further details.

The SQL Server patch package is part of a general distribution release (GDR). This package cannot be applied since this SQL Server feature has already been patched. To continue, you must install a higher version of the SQL Server patch.

The SQL Server patch package is part of a general distribution release (GDR). This package cannot be applied since this SQL Server feature has already been patched. To continue, you must install a higher version of the SQL Server patch.

Error result: -2042429437

Result facility code: 1603

Result error code: 3

Please review the summary.txt log for further details

"%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Setup Bootstrap\Log\summary.txt" only contains extra environment information.

Maybe the date of the GDR is really July, not October, and it has been updated already. Maybe there is a problem with the GDR update.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening?

• Please ignore this. I have just noticed that some of the production servers still have a GDR dated January and some have a GDR dated July.

I think Windows Update must have done the patch before I had a chance to run my basic regression testing scripts.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply