Job Step Proxy Account not available

• Hi,

I want to set a proxy account for SQL Agent, that is available under SQL Agent Properties > Job System. But the problem is that the option for setting the proxy account is not available. It is there but i cannot set any value, because every option under Job Step Proxy Account is grayed out.

Please help me finding the reason why this option isn't availble. There must be some SQL Server configuration that is causing this but I am unable to find it.

Urgent help required.

Thanks & Regards,

Rehan

- Rattu

- Rattu

• Some new additions:

Msg 15137, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_xp_cmdshell_proxy_account, Line 1

An error occurred during the execution of sp_xp_cmdshell_proxy_account. Possible reasons: the provided account was invalid or the '##xp_cmdshell_proxy_account##' credential could not be created. Error code: '1329'.

when i execute 'sp_xp_cmdshell_proxy_account' procedure, it returns errors as above. While the user is a valid domain user and has logon rights over the machine, however is not an administrator. However I can create a credential with the above login and assign the credential to proxy i create under proxies.

Any thoughts GURUs!!!

- Rattu

• I think you need to check your Surface area configuration tool and make sure xp_cmdshell is enabled because it was not properly documented in previous versions, now it is documented and disabled by default because Microsoft does not want developers changing uses of their product.   If it is enabled then the account is not Admin level because whatever xp_cmdshell is executing the Agent needs a proxy of Admin level permissions to run it. Hope this helps.

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1020

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• hi gift,

Yes that is the right way to start troubleshooting.  I appreciate your knowledge on this

- Krishna

• I am glad I could help, Microsoft documented the feature and disabled it.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply