Job Specialization - Boon or Bane?

• That's something I point out in interviews.

I don't know everything, but I usually know where to find it. Either a resource online or a person I can ask.

• I'm 27 and I've been working with SQL Server for 6 years now and .NET for 2. I'm quite specialized and sometimes I get worried thinking how fast the IT is moving. But still, I consider young in the working world.

Is it possible that in 10 - 20 years Microsoft had lost its position in the market and everybody could be programming Java and using MySQL or Oracle databases?

That really worries me, then is not if I could apply for more or less job positions. Then it would mean that there's no job positions out there for me...

That's why now I've also started to do some Project Management... keeping as maximum doors opened as possible.

• When I started working in 1980, the industry said COBOL would be history in twenty years. It is 2008, I just got a phone call the other day from a recruiter frantically looking for a COBOL programmer. Not only COBOL does not die, it is still going strong in some companies eg the IRA.

Right now more and more people using SQL Server, I doubt it would die.

Actually in the 90, people thought JAVA would be 'THE' language' but it did not take off it supposed to be. Actually more and more people using .NET and C#.

Although Bill Gate announces he is going to retire from Microsoft, he is still the board of director. He would not let his baby die.

my 2cents

• SSCommitted...

I would encourage you (and others) to remember that even when development technologies shift, your skills may only become more valuable! Sure, .NET is all the rage right now and I do .NET work. And while people are always talking about the next paradigm - being a seasoned (read:old) techno-junkie I have been astonished over the last four years at how much I have been making on "outdated" skills.

In my case, its XBase (dBase, Clipper, FoxPro, Visual FoxPro...) - I worked in XBase for decades and made good $$$ but since the XBase dialect has been 'set-aside' I have had three contracts that paid me a bundle more than I ever made during the XBase heyday, converting old XBase systems. Indeed, for the first time ever (2007) I made over 100 bucks an hour to 'save' an XBase conversion disaster! Wow!

I also have a friend who does RPG2 and seeing him a couple months ago I was stunned to find him saying that he is getting more RPG2 work now, at a higher rate than ever before.

Sure, technologies will shift and its good to stay current - but languages and DBMS's are, to businesses, big investments in data and dollars, and as I have found, if you are willing to work helping people convert/migrate these systems, boy oh boy can it be profitable!

No one can definitively predict the future of say, SQL, Java, and even .NET - but if you have something you are good at and you know how to market those old skills, you can make some serious bucks!

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • You may find a generalist writing sometimes inferior quality code, but after all, this code must meet the business requirement (functional and performance )and that's what's really matter.

Another point of view a generalist has a lot of wide knoweledge of the affected systems by his change and this is really important when is about to fix or develop in heterogeneous systems.

Viewing 5 posts - 61 through 64 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply