Job Error. Need help ASAP.

• Does anyone know what could be my problem here?

Let me explain….

I have two servers, one in a DMZ and the other on our local network. I have a DTS package running every night form the server on the DMZ. I can verify this by looking in the jobs. Here is the kicker. I can run the DTS package from Enterprise Manager (EM) and the package works just fine. But, every night the “job” fails (job error below). The job is running under the SA account so it has the permissions but fails. I am thinking that it could be something with the firewall between the DMZ and the local network. Some port that is being blocked or something. Does anyone know if “jobs” are using a special port or something? The reason why I am going down this path is that using EM and sitting on the local network I must be acting as some kind of “middle” man and that is why the DTS package is working when I fire it off. But, when the server in the DMZ is doing all the work there is no middle man helping it out. I.e. I can see the server in the DMZ and it can see the server on the local network through me. I know, sounds dumb. But, that is all I can think the problem could be some port being blocked on the firewall. Any help would be so wonderful.

Start Of Job Error

DTSRun: Loading...

Error: -2147008507 (80074005);

Provider Error: 0 (0)

Error string: Unspecified error

Error source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package

Help file: sqldts.hlp

Help context: 713

Error: -2147467259 (80004005);

Provider Error: 1326 (52E)

Error string: Client unable to establish connection

Error source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

Help file: Help context: 0

Error: -2147467259 (80004005);

Provider Error: 1326 (52E)

Error string: [DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).

Error source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server

Help file:

Help context: 0. Process Exit Code 1. The step failed.

End Of Job Error

Thanks,

Dane-

• EM uses OLE DB to communicate with the server, which ISQL doesn't. Therefore, can you use OSQL to run a simple query on the server in the DMZ? Are you certain the SA account has all permissions in the DMZ necessary? These could have been disabled on purpose by a well-meaning networking person as it could lead to security issues...

I assume you're using a single instance of SQL listening on port 1433? Another thing to confirm perhaps...

• Also, what account is sql agent running under? Permissions on that account could keep the job from running. When you run it from EM you are using your login rights to execute it SQL uses the sql agent to run jobs and that may not have enough permissions to do so. If you want to check connectivity through the DMZ you can telnet to port 1433 and see if sql responds. I would bet permissions issue first though.

Wes

• Sounds like your server is trying to connect using Named Pipes. Use Client Network Utility on the server to create alias to other server and make sure network library is set to TCP/IP.

p.s. Why have you posted this 4 times in different sections. It makes it hard to reply as I do not know which is being monitored.

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply