Is This a Good DBA Job Description?

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Is This a Good DBA Job Description?

• "When I interview people, I want to know a few things. One is can I get along with them, as well as the rest of the team. This isn't to discount technical skills, but we need to be a team. If we can't get along, and maybe more importantly, disagree civilly, it's hard to work together. We do need to bond,..."

The challenge is to make sure that the understandable goal of looking for a good team fit (ie: getting along with the team) isn't also an element in unconsciously filtering out of diversity.  Any time we talk about good team fit (which is important too), I just think we should also have at least an internal conversation about what a good fit means so we can try to make sure that the desire to find people that we can "bond" with doesn't turn into filtering out people who would be great for the job and the team but are different from us and might be harder to bond with.

• "The other thing is that I need to see some effort and desire to succeed. I don't need someone to be an expert, but I do need them to show an interest in helping our customers, ... I like to associate with people who want to make the world better."

I 100% agree with the idea of looking to hire people who want to make the world a better place.  I'm just curious if you are arguing that it should actually be part of the job description.  Personally, I wouldn't make it part of the job description.  I would more be looking for that "make things better" spark in the resume and interview.

Do you think it would help to put something like, "Constantly looks to improve our processes and make life better for our staff" as a requirement in the job description?  Just curious if I'm understanding you correctly.

• JJ B wrote:

"When I interview people, I want to know a few things. One is can I get along with them, as well as the rest of the team. This isn't to discount technical skills, but we need to be a team. If we can't get along, and maybe more importantly, disagree civilly, it's hard to work together. We do need to bond,..."

The challenge is to make sure that the understandable goal of looking for a good team fit (ie: getting along with the team) isn't also an element in unconsciously filtering out of diversity.  Any time we talk about good team fit (which is important too), I just think we should also have at least an internal conversation about what a good fit means so we can try to make sure that the desire to find people that we can "bond" with doesn't turn into filtering out people who would be great for the job and the team but are different from us and might be harder to bond with.

It's always a challenge to find people you get along with and work with well, but not discriminating against those that are different. I think I've learned to look for someone that can have a debate or disagreement about something with, in a civil manner.

I do value people who are different from me and think differently, as I think it helps me think differently. But we have to be able to do this in a manner that is respectful.

• JJ B wrote:

Do you think it would help to put something like, "Constantly looks to improve our processes and make life better for our staff" as a requirement in the job description?  Just curious if I'm understanding you correctly.

It's not a bad idea. I wonder how many people would come to the interview prepared to talk about this.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply