Is there an easy way to compare the contents of objects between 2 different databases?

• Hi, Is there an easy way to compare the contents of objects between 2 different databases? For example, say I had 2 databases, My_DB_1 and My_DB_2, each with a SEC_User table. Say I wanted to do an object-to-object comparison between databases to see if there were any differences. Here's some sample SQL:

use My_DB_1

select * from sys.dm_sql_referencing_entities('dbo.sec_user', 'object')

use My_DB_2

select * from sys.dm_sql_referencing_entities('dbo.sec_user', 'object')

Say that the result sets above both returned a SEC_GetUser sproc object ref. Is there a way to write SQL that will compare the SEC_GetUser sprocs (and other objects in the above rowsets) from both databases? For example, if My_DB_1.SEC_GetUser returns an extra column in the result set than My_DB_2.SEC_GetUser then I'd like my comparison SQL to return a single column "IsDifferent" with SEC_GetUser as a row....

• theres some really good db comparison tools out there, like redgatecompare, or dbdiff , or a database schema comparison if you have the ultimate version of visual studio. they do a fantastic job.

for something quick and dirty, you could use the EXCEPT operator, but you want to compare in both directions, i think: since object_id's are going to be different regardless, you want to ge tthe list of object_names and columns, i think.

select ColumnListWithoutObjectID from DB1.sys.dm_sql_referencing_entities('dbo.sec_user', 'object')

EXCEPT

select ColumnListWithoutObjectID from DB2.sys.dm_sql_referencing_entities('dbo.sec_user', 'object')

select ColumnListWithoutObjectID from DB2.sys.dm_sql_referencing_entities('dbo.sec_user', 'object')

EXCEPT

select ColumnListWithoutObjectID from DB1.sys.dm_sql_referencing_entities('dbo.sec_user', 'object')

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply