Is that a reason DBA should Install SQL Server

• small shop you have there.

Just on my side of the ocean we have over 750 servers (half is prod) - with a total size of 100 TB space used spread over 10k datafiles (excluding log files and system db's).

max db - 3 TB and growing with another 10 others over 1 TB

some physical servers, majority virtual under vmware clusters with production hosts licensed for enterprise.

we follow a standard layout for majority of servers

• E- software
    • F-Datafiles
    • G-logs
    • H-Tempdb
    • J - Tempdblogs
    • S-System
    • T-backups

and for all our virtual machines (vmware or cloud) we have automated powershell scripts that install SQL automatically, define required tempdb files based on core count, add main admin AD groups to instance and set all other defaults.

script also creates required GMSA accounts and allocates them to server/service (we use 1 GMSA per SQL Service, per machine)

pretty good setup - not much to do for us on the installation side.

• It IS small and I love it.

What do you folks do where you need 750 servers and half of those are "prod"?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• big financial group - lots of sub companies/teams

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

big financial group - lots of sub companies/teams

How much of that is actual unique applications/db's vs basically the same install being used by a different group?

• ZZartin wrote:

frederico_fonseca wrote:

How much of that is actual unique applications/db's vs basically the same install being used by a different group?

90% of prod is unique - some duplication of smaller db's (less than 200GB sizes) for reporting/BI purposes

non prod there is a duplication (for different developments within a team and dev/fit/uat)

but big sizes  are all prod.

• frederico_fonseca wrote:

Do YOU maintain all of those servers or do most of the sub-companies have someone taking care of business for their own sub-company?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

frederico_fonseca wrote:

Do YOU maintain all of those servers or do most of the sub-companies have someone taking care of business for their own sub-company?

we have a single team of dba's to do it. 10 dba's in total (for these and the oracle ones together (small number now of these))

• The company I work for only has me.  I do get some good help hardware wise from the Infrastructure Group and they're the ones that copy backups to tape, etc, but it's mostly just me.  I also do code reviews, regression checks, and help the Developers whenever they run into a problem and I also provide special "reduced size" databases to the Developers.  I also develop code to do special things like nightly support for training environments (example... copy 50 to 100,000 image files every night and drop files that are more than 30 days old) and help by writing special code (wrote a replacement for that god-aweful FORMAT function for multi-lingual dates) and other things.  I've even given a couple of training classes and wrote/enforce most of the standards that folks follow.

In other words, jack of many trades and master of some.  It's fun stuff.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden wrote:

In other words, jack of many trades and master of some.  It's fun stuff.

Unlike me, jack of many trades and master of none. :-/ LOL

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply