Is Replication over DLS advisable?

• I'm purchasing an accounting and truck tracking package and want to do one way replication to a sql server at a remote location over DSL. (I can't afford a T1)

Is up to the minute replication over dsl possible / advisable?

While replication is occuring will the local clients response times be impacted if replication takes too long?

Do I need to establish a VPN between the two sites?

Any suggestions on a VPN solution?

TIA

• Hi:

Do it using DSL or Cable, it will work, it also depend on the replication strategy you choose.

VPN is not a must but it will better for security reasons,

use one Netgear FVS 328 on eache side, they are under 100, easy to setup and you could select the algorithm and number of bits use for the tunnel.

POG

• The choice to use VPN is more of a security one - you'll be able to use trusted authentication this way. Otherwise you'll be using SQL Authentication and FTP initialization. For one-way replication, consider using vanilla transactional replication, assuming your articles all have PKs. To optimize the latency, reduce the POLLINGINTERVAL of the logreader and distribution agents to 1 secons, and have both run in continuous mode.

HTH,

Paul Ibison, SQL Server MVP (www.replicationanswers.com)

Paul Ibison
    Paul.Ibison@replicationanswers.com

• Thanks for your replies. It makes me more comfortable to know that it can/has been done.

• duplicate deleted

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply