Is it possible to dynamically create tables in the destination database?

• Hi,

We have a Sybase database which contains 138 tables and I would like to copy these including data straight into a SQL 2005 database using SSIS if possible. This is for reporting purposes.

Is it possible to dynamically create tables from a Sybase database directly into a SQL 2005 database?

I presume the answer will be no not least because the data types will be different?

I've created ADO NET Source & Destination tasks under the Data Flow tab which quite happily inserts data from the source to the destination where i've already created the destination tables. I would prefer not to have to create all these tables individually if I can help it.

Cheers,

Mark

• if you have all the data flows setup you can click new.. on the destination and this will create the table for you. Though you will still have to do this 138 times.

Have you tried using the import wizard to build the SSIS packages for you?

I have not tried it from Sybase but it should work, I use this when moving a large number of tables from sql sever as it will create the dataflows and tables for you

• Thanks Steve.

lol... trying really hard not to create the tables manually 138 times!

I've never used the import/export wizard within SSIS but looks like it might do the job - thanks. Gotta try and configure the ODBC data provider to connect to the Sybase db. For some reason it looks completely different to the connection I created within Connection Manager!?

Thanks for the advice,

Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply