Is it possible to create a link server from SQL server 2014 standard to SQL 2016 express?

• Hello,

simple question, Is it possible to create a link server from SQL server 2014 standard to SQL 2016 express?

i am trying to use the native 11 connection on SQL server 2014, to SQL server 2016 express, but it keeps saying that the server is not allowing remote connections, i checked by right clicking on the sql server 2016 server/instance, and it is check box that is allows remote connections, but not sure what else to check? or is it not possible?

thanks in advance

• Are these on the same machine? If not, you could have firewall issues. Even if they are, you might not be connecting with the same protocol, or the browser might not be running.

• Hey Steve, 

thanks for your reply, no these are different machines, and i made sure the firewall is allowing the default SQL port open to both servers only. Browser is not running, but there are no other instances that i know of, but i will double check. let me know if there is anything else. so we can use Link server between these 2 versions correct?

• Double check that the remote is running and listening on 1433. Check the errorlog.

The driver for connection is generic. 2014 should connect to 2016. Maybe try using the IP?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply