iPad? Good for monitoring SQL servers?

• Do you have an iPad if so do you use it to monitor your SQL servers? Also what else is it good for (SQL related)?

I am looking for a good reason to get an iPad...

Thanks

Scott

• It's lightweight and long battery. If you're not the go, it's a handy tool for making quick notes.

However it's mostly a consumption tool. I've used mine to browse web sites (including for work). I demo SQL Monitor on it, and you can use it for that purpose. I've used it to watch videos, like the MCM videos from SQLskills. It's handy for email, facebook/twitter at tiems, and I do make notes on it at conferences.

However it's still a bit of a toy and the kids get more use out of it than I.

If you do some BI type development, you might justify it that way as a tool for testing your applications.

I have a friend that uses it at work for managing servers by RDP'ing to various machines. Works OK, but I'd recommend a real keyboard for typing.

• I've started using an Android tablet, the Asus Transformer, instead of the iPad. I'm much happier with it as a production device as well as a consumption device.

That said, can you monitor with it? Yes. It's easier than using a phone to do the same thing because you've got more screen real estate.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Why is the Asus better? Not arguing, but curious. I've debated playing with an Android tablet as well.

• First thing was the integration with my Droid phone. It was seemless. Once I had logged into Google, all my data was moved across to the Asus, like magic. Second, it's the not the Asus per se, it's the Android OS. It's just better. There's so much more integration between the device, the files, my computer, my phone, that I can share data much easier, especially moving files around. It makes doing blog posts from the Asus quick & easy since I have a file system that I can use to retrieve text, photo's, whatever. It's that one difference between the Apple OS & the Droid that makes all the difference for productivity. Other than that... they're about the same. I need to write up a review on it and post it on the blog. I've been taking notes. I'll do it in my spare time.... Which, I think I have some scheduled for May of 2012 at this point.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• I think most people would use it for entertainment purpose, it would not so convenient for monitoring sql..

just my personal opinion.:-)

---------------------------------------
    Quickly Recover Windows Password,Make Life Better!

• there are monitoring apps in the app store but i've never used any of them

had an iphone 3GS and now have an ipad 2 and a HTC Android phone. after 3 months with android anything more than $50 for an android device is too much

in android market vs app store, the apple app store wins easily. a lot more apps and when there is an app in both ecosystems, the iOS version is usually a lot better.

• Monitoring solely off an iPad, Xoom, etc isn't the use case. It's an additional way to monitor, which can be handy if you aren't near a desktop/laptop.

• good for home use

i don't have a desktop and my laptop is off 99% of the time at home. most times i check my email on my blackberry or ipad when i'm at home and turn on my laptop to vpn in. having a monitoring app on an ipad would be nice since i can glance at it and it would take me 30 seconds at most

• Grant, on the Droid OS, does it render SSRS reports properly?

I know Safari has its limitations, so I use the MobiSSRS (free version) app instead of Safari which works ok as I only have one SSRS server but as a business we will start to push SSRS out a lot and just wondering which would be the better tablet, a Driod or iPad

• Could anyone give the name of apps that we can use to monitor/RDP our SQL Servers from iPhone/iPad ?

Sujeet Singh

• I have been using Pocket Cloud by Wyse on my iPad for a while now to do remote desktop connection. It will work with both Windows RDP and VNC, which suits me fine. It has all I need to do overview monitoring of servers, but I wouldn't want to try any large-scale DB management with iPad's UI. You do need either an on-net connection, or VPN (we have SonicWall firewalls and the VPN setup is a bit tricky for iPad but it works well).

• Thanks Bob & Steve. I'll give a try to these apps.

Sujeet Singh

• anthony.green (5/28/2012)

Grant, on the Droid OS, does it render SSRS reports properly?

I know Safari has its limitations, so I use the MobiSSRS (free version) app instead of Safari which works ok as I only have one SSRS server but as a business we will start to push SSRS out a lot and just wondering which would be the better tablet, a Driod or iPad

I haven't looked in a while. Opening monitor.red-gate.com right now.... Yep. Looks good. Drilled down on the details windows. Everything worked just great.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply