IoT Pros and Cons

• Steve, thanks for the chuckle this morning when I saw your post.  Reflecting on the 'pros' and 'cons' of my years, I can say I knew a few of both!

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Here is my take on IoT devices:

IoT has revolutionized industries like: manufacturing, transportation, healthcare, and science. Since this article was originally posted in 2017, I have since installed a Ring home security system. Getting alerts and doorbell video streamed to my cell phone is wonderful and a game changer.

IoT enabled toilets offer the potential of (one day) performing meaningful health screenings. However, $3000+ "Smart Wi-Fi Enabled" refrigerators still continue to be a solution in search of a problem - topping the list as the most over priced and pointless IoT consumer product.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell wrote:

Here is my take on IoT devices:

IoT has revolutionized industries like: manufacturing, transportation, healthcare, and science. Since this article was originally posted in 2017, I have since installed a Ring home security system. Getting alerts and doorbell video streamed to my cell phone is wonderful and a game changer.

IoT enabled toilets offer the potential of (one day) performing meaningful health screenings. However, $3000+ "Smart Wi-Fi Enabled" refrigerators still continue to be a solution in search of a problem - topping the list as the most over priced and pointless IoT consumer product.

I do like my Ring doorbell system as I can interact with folks who can't tell if I'm at home or away.  And if I want, I can arm myself BEFORE I open the door.  But is that IOT toilet going to do my prostate exam?  I don't think so.

Rick

• It might not do the exam, but it might alert you to some suspicious levels in excrement. I think there is potential for many technologies to help, not solve, issues and make things more efficient.

Unfortunately, someone trying to maximize their profit or revenue sometimes gets in the way of tech just helping a bit.

• Despite its complexity, the Internet of Things (IoT) is essential for businesses and has transformative capabilities. Implementing IoT can revolutionize processes, enable real-time data-driven decision-making, improve efficiency, and unlock new business opportunities.

Did you know that Nitor Infotech specializes in IoT implementation that simplifies adoption and drives business growth in this exciting era of interconnected devices and data?

• I just have to share this with you all.  I don't like this device and wish my wife would get rid of it.  This email message was received June 24th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello ethel coffman,

You are receiving this message because you connected your Canon MX920 series to Alexa on 5/8/23. Alexa noticed that you will need to replace your Canon CLI-251 Yellow Toner soon, based on your Canon MX920 series usage and orders placed on Amazon. You can view products on Amazon that are confirmed to work with your device. Or, you can set up smart reorders to automatically receive replacements of your choice. Save 10% on all ink and toner smart reorders.

Reorder Now

Set up Smart Reorders

Click here to view or manage settings, including the option to opt out if you are already using another replenishment service.

Recommended Canon CLI-251 Yellow Toner

Canon CLI-251XL Yellow Compatible to iP7220,iX6820,MG5420,MG5520/MG6420,MG5620/MG6620,MX922/MX722,iP8720,MG6320,MG7120,MG7520 Printers

Apparently Amazon knows what kind of printer is on my network (no we did not even purchase it from them), knows who connected to it on what date, that we have purchased cartridges for it before, and can even see that it needs a cartridge.  It is still 6 weeks later monitoring things in our home.  This is not good.  I repeat my on-going mantra of "Do we really need to do this sh!t".

Rick

• It's hit and miss. The reminder for missing low toner is something lots of people would like. Don't want to manage this, don't want a steady order, but a smart reorder isn't bad.

Overall, however, I agree with you. I just don't like the devices. We have a dot, which was hit and miss with DirecTV integration. Not enough pros for me to keep on. Now it's a paperweight.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply