Inventory Opening and Closing Balances

• Hi all,

I'm fairly new to BI, I've done some cubes in SQL 2000 and 2005 but I never dealt with calculated members more complicated than basic mathematical operators. I could use help with this.

This cube needs to show inventory transactions by fiscal period. I started building a data warehouse with a few dimensions, in this cube I'll be using my dimWarehouse, dimStyle and dimCalendar dimensions.

The cube will contain three measures, OpeningBalance, Quantity and ClosingBalance. The Quantity comes from the relational database inventory transactions table which I summarized by warehouse and period, it represents the sum of all the transactions during the period.

At this point I think I should probably mention that the company I work for uses the 4-4-5 method of accounting periods starting January 1st so I can never work with normal time dimensions based on calendar dates which is why my FiscalPeriod field in the dimCalendar dimension is char(6) (200901, 200902 etc)

I wrote a stored procedure to create my fact table and my dimensions, here are the structures.

FactInvTransactions

WarehouseKey int

StyleKey int

CalendarKey int

Quantity int

dimWarehouse

WarehouseKey int

WarehouseCode char(2)

WarehouseName char(40)

DimStyle

StyleKey int

StyleCode char(10)

StyleName char(20)

DimCalendar

CalendarKey

FiscalPeriod char(6)

I created my cube and I can now see my total by warehouse/style/period.

Now comes the Opening/Closing balance part. I need to add calculated measures for those two. Obviously the opening is the closing of the previous period and the closing is the Opening + Quantity for the period.

How can I do this, can it be done with the OpeningPeriod and ClosingPeriod functions ?

Thanks !

• It looks like I'm on my own on this one. I'll post the code if I can figure it out.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply