Invalid Network name error while doing Sql 2012 Clustering

• I have configured wfc on windows server 2008R2 and now installing Sql clustering when I am trying to install Sql server 2012 ENT editionfor clustering I am getting error invalid Network Name error in installation media wizard for Sql....

How to resolve it????

• have you ensured the virtual networkname is unique?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• yup...

when I see my FCM it gives Cluster Disk1 failed error...

so can not install Sql and networkname is invalid error keeps coming...

Is It related to security issues in AD??

• too many errors all at once, get the disk issue sorted first. Without this an instance cannot start successfully.

For the acct you are logged on with and running the install, what permission level does the user acct have, admin or low privilege user?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi

I had experienced the same problem, in my case that was caused by the Windows failover cluster object is created in a OU at AD, where it do not have permission to create the SQL Sever Cluster object. We have separate OU that contains all the permission that needs for the cluster, once we moved the Windows Failover object to that correct OU, the problem went away.

Below link might help you.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2013/09/30/error-during-installation-of-an-sql-server-failover-cluster-instance.aspx

• I am working with administrator account at domain level.I think you do not need extra permission to be configured for this account in AD am I right?

• Initially that was we thought, so we tried using an account that is member of domain admin, that did not work either.

So this is actually the permission of the machine account which is the Windows cluster account that will create the SQL Cluster account on AD. So you can set the permission for the Windows cluster account to create object etc. If you go through the link, it really explains very well than me.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/psssql/archive/2013/09/30/error-during-installation-of-an-sql-server-failover-cluster-instance.aspx

• sej2008 (12/23/2014)

I am working with administrator account at domain level.I think you do not need extra permission to be configured for this account in AD am I right?

as pointed out, if you create objects in a custom OU you need to apply permission for the cluster service to create objects. Alternatively you could pre stage the object as detailed here

• well I went through the link given but it is applicable to windows Server 2012 and not server 2008R2 as in my case.I believe steps would be little different then??

• I went through the link given it was indeed helpful.but I want to know do I have to create separate Domain User in AD for SQL clustering and then what permission you need to give.

I am aware that you need to add the user into Domain Admins,Administrators group and also Domain User group what else you have to do??

AS per the link I did give "Read properties and "create Computer Object" permissions to my windows Cluster named winclust1,in AD DS under mydomain.com -computers -Properties,Security tab.

but still I get same Invalid Network Name while Sql installation??

I need to know proper configuration of permissions for Domain User account who creates windows cluster and also Sql Cluster???? can you help??

• sej2008 (1/2/2015)

I went through the link given it was indeed helpful.but I want to know do I have to create separate Domain User in AD for SQL clustering and then what permission you need to give.

I am aware that you need to add the user into Domain Admins,Administrators group and also Domain User group what else you have to do??

You do not add the svc account to domain admins or any other group, it should be a standard low permission account.

sej2008 (1/2/2015)

AS per the link I did give "Read properties and "create Computer Object" permissions to my windows Cluster named winclust1,in AD DS under mydomain.com -computers -Properties,Security tab.

but still I get same Invalid Network Name while Sql installation??

I need to know proper configuration of permissions for Domain User account who creates windows cluster and also Sql Cluster???? can you help??

What network name are you using?

• You need to ensure that the computer name does not exist in AD. A failed install attempt can put that name in AD. The network name you add in your SQL Server install must not exist already in AD unless you have Disabled the computer in AD.

Ben Miller
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, SQL MVP
    @DBAduck - http://dbaduck.com

• dbaduck (1/5/2015)

You need to ensure that the computer name does not exist in AD. A failed install attempt can put that name in AD. The network name you add in your SQL Server install must not exist already in AD unless you have Disabled the computer in AD.

This is not correct, if you're pre staging the networkname it will exist in AD. It must not be already running as a cluster resource, this will cause a failure and require you to delete it from the cluster role first. You could reset the computer account in AD but this will remove any permissions that were granted and if pre staged will cause a failure when the installer attempts to online the networkname resource.

• I think you misunderstood my post. I said that if it existed in AD it needed to be disabled in a prestage.

Ben Miller
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, SQL MVP
    @DBAduck - http://dbaduck.com

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply