Interview Question

• I have 1,00,000 rows in table.

Question :

begin tran

truncate table ....

Rollback Tran

what is the output of this query?

Can any one explain me in Detail?

• What do you think all the possible answers are and why?

I can think of at least 3.

• Thanks for reply ..but i did not understand.

• hint # 1 the number of rows don't matter...testing it yourself goes a lot farther education-wise than asking and getting an answer....

hint # 2 when can you use or not use truncate?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• hint #3, aside from hitting F5 is what can stop this from running correctly or at all.

• Can we rollback if we use truncate command??? I dont think we can rollback since truncate command does not generate any logs.

• (: Hakuna Matata 🙂 (9/21/2011)

Can we rollback if we use truncate command??? I dont think we can rollback since truncate command does not generate any logs.

try it yourself.

ALL transactions can be rolled back, no matter what they do.

truncate gets logged, same as every other event.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• So after you finally hit F5 you can try finding to other 2-3 possible outputs

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic908285-1198-1.aspx

• i just tried it and it seemed to work

begin transaction

truncate table tablename

rollback transaction

didn't remove anything from the table

• I was able to rollback a table with around 181000 records.

I dont think we can rollback since truncate command does not generate any logs.

Common myth, completely false. Truncate (like every single other data modification in SQL) is logged.

http://sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/A-SQL-Server-DBA-myth-a-day-%281930%29-TRUNCATE-TABLE-is-non-logged.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Can we rollback if we use truncate command??? I dont think we can rollback since truncate command does not generate any logs.

If SQL Server was like Oracle you would be right.

Fortunately, it's not.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Gianluca Sartori (9/21/2011)

(: Hakuna Matata 🙂 (9/21/2011)

Fortunately, it's not.

Very true.. In Oracle truncate does not permit rollback. So I presumed it is the same with SQL Server.

Gianluca Sartori (9/21/2011)

(: Hakuna Matata 🙂 (9/21/2011)

Fortunately, it's not.

Very true.. In Oracle truncate does not permit rollback. So I presumed it is the same with SQL Server.

It just doesn't log the individual rows being removed. It logs the PAGES it is removing. (so it's a lot less being logged, but still - it's logged).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• THANKS FOR ALL REPLY 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply