Instance Level Failover in 2012 'Always On'

• I have Win 2008 R2 sp1 FCI configured on Server1 and Server2.

I have a SQL 2012 AG configured b/w these servers where I have 2 DBs in synch mode.

Server1 is Primary and DBs are Read-Write and Server2 is Secondary where both my DBs are configured as Readable.

I can failover the DBs at Database level by failing over the SQL AG.

However, how can I configure Automatic failover at Instance [ Server ] level with FCI.

PLease help.

Thanks

Kishore

• The Availability Group functionality is not set up to move instances around. It's focused exclusively on a database or a group of databases. Now, you can make all the databases on an instance into a group and then it'll work that way, but there's no instance level set up. This is just not the same functionality as the old shared disk clusters.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Hi Grant - I am aware of the SQL AG part...

What I was looking for cluster quorum configuration with my kind of setup.

i.e. With 2 nodes under FCI, what kind of quorum configuration should I opt for :

Node Majority / Node and Disk Majority / Node and File Share Majority...

I have local disks on both my nodes and not SAN storage.

Any inputs will be appreciated.

HTH

Kishore

• Kishore-132325 (8/28/2012)

I have Win 2008 R2 sp1 FCI configured on Server1 and Server2.

I have a SQL 2012 AG configured b/w these servers where I have 2 DBs in synch mode.

Server1 is Primary and DBs are Read-Write and Server2 is Secondary where both my DBs are configured as Readable.

I can failover the DBs at Database level by failing over the SQL AG.

However, how can I configure Automatic failover at Instance [ Server ] level with FCI.

PLease help.

Thanks

Kishore

Your configuration is not clear from the above description, a secondary AlwaysOn instance is not aloud to run on the same node as a FCI included node when the FCI is included in the AO group.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Kishore-132325 (8/28/2012)[hr

Node Majority / Node and Disk Majority / Node and File Share Majority...

I have local disks on both my nodes and not SAN storage.

I had configured cluster for auto failover using Node and File Share majority. You need to have atleast a 3rd resource to form a quorum in the event of failure to decide whether to failover or not.

In AlwaysON setting, you keep your database locally (can be on SAN but that wont be shared across 2 nodes)

Pradeep Singh

• Thanks PS.

I configured a file share witness to set a quorum. Now both my nodes and File share have 1 vote each and cluster will be running fine till majority of the resources are up [ in this case 2 should be running ].

I have tested the scenarios by bringing down individual nodes, file share and it works as expected.

Thanks

Kishore

• Perry Whittle (8/29/2012)

Your configuration is not clear from the above description, a secondary AlwaysOn instance is not allowed to run on the same node as a FCI included node when the FCI is included in the AO group.

?????

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply