Installing SQL Server on a sever that was built with an image from a different Machine

• My systems engineers have switched to building server with an image verse a normal operating system install. Since then, we can not get SQL server installed on the machine. Everything looks like it is working correctly, but when we go to query analyzer while logged in on the box it says the sql server does not exist.

Has anyone used an image of a server than installed sql server, and if so, what are the issues I need to know about?

Thanks,

KatM

• We build from images all the time.

Can you provide a bit more details? Operating system, service pack? Also, version of SQL Server and service pack?

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• OS: Windows 2003 Standard (All hot fixes up to March 1st)

SQL : 2000 sp3a

I viewed the error logs for the install and it should successes. The SQL log showed no errors.

I tried connecting to the box via the name and the ip address. And the error was SQL server does not exist. I did verify in enterprise manager on the server that SQL server was started.

I am thinking more and more it was just a bad install of the image. I just completed a second SQL Server install on a new server that was build with the same image and it worked successfully.

Thanks,

Kat

• It could be an ordering thing as well.  IF SQL was installed AND THEN the server was renamed there could be problems....

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• We had major problems with using a Third-Party imaging software to build SQL Servers. The Transaction Coordinator for SQL Server (used when you have linked servers and are running distributed queries) uses several Registry keys that are supposed to be unique.

With the install, ours weren't unique and we couldn't communicate between the servers. I posted something here about two years ago...Might search for MTCPing to locate the conversation.

Michelle

Michelle

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply