Installing another Instance on SQL2000

• I'm trying to install a second instance on a SQL 2000 SP4 (server 2003) production box. I get the error message:

"A previous program installation created pending file operations on the installation machine. You must restart the computer before running setup."

I really don't want to bring this box down. Does anyone know why this is happening and is there any other option?

Thanks...Nali

• Was there a previous install (canceled) or uninstall run since the last reboot? If so, that might explain the error. As for being able to do anything without the reboot, there probably isn't a safe approach here. Microsoft's workaround requires a reboot:

SQL Server 2000 installation fails with "...previous program installation..." error message

Even the article which details how to manually uninstall requires a reboot if you get this error:

How to manually remove SQL Server 2000 default, named, or virtual instance

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• This is what I get all the time: I install SQL Server and it does not ask me to reboot. But if I need to install a service pack right after SQL Install it would post this very message asking to reboot. It happens most of the times that is why I reboot right away after each install if it asks me or not.

It is still better then "Publishing" or "Assigning" the applications by GPO: when you would have it in the menu or would click on the appropriate document but the app will be actually installed on the first use.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• I agree with Yelena ... after SQL installation, Service Pack installation or 'hot fix' installation I always reboot. Just a habit left over from the NT 3.5 and SQL v4.21 days. It's a habit that has served me well, even on 2K3 !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply