Install SQL Server 2008 Integration Services side by side with SQL 2005 IS

• I already have the full blown SQL Server 2005 (Std Edition ) 64 bit, SP3 installed on our DEV server.

We are in midst of upgrading it to SP4 but are waiting and testing some vendor database that sit on this server.

There is a need for the Development team to have the Integration Services (SQL Server 2008) installed.

No upgrade to existing SSIS but a separate install.

Is there a problem in doing this, as I have lots and lots of SSIS packages (SQL 2005) already in place and that are running daily called in sql jobs ?

Also what steps should I take before this installation, any kind of backup (all dtsx are stored on the file system) ?

How do I rollback if necessary, just uninstall ?

Will any dll or other shared files be affected ?

I just want to be really sure before installing, I know it would be pretty simple click of GUI but still..........

Kindly advise

• Is there a problem in doing this, as I have lots and lots of SSIS packages (SQL 2005) already in place and that are running daily called in sql jobs ?

Are your SSIS packages deployed to msdb or as files on disk?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• Forgot to update this forum.

Ive already have SSIS 2008 installed side by side. No issues so far.

The SSIS package's are stored in file system.

Thank You

• File system...so you're executing the all SSIS packages using dtexec.exe?

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• yes

• In that case you do not need the "SQL Server Integration Services" service to be running at all in order to support the SSIS packages you're migrating. You only get one "SQL Server Integration Services" service per server so unless you use Maintenance Plans you should be fine.

All you need to worry about for the migration is that you have a copy of DTExec.exe in both installed Binn directories and that you're calling the version consistent with the version of the SSIS package you're trying to execute:

%SQL 2005 Install Directory%\90\DTS\Binn\DTExec.exe

%SQL 2008 Install Directory%\100\DTS\Binn\DTExec.exe

--Plato

• yes I do have it that way.Thank You

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply