Insert (x) rows into table with y columns from string

• First I want to thank anyone who takes a moment to help with this.  I really appreciate all the help I've gotten here over the years and I wish I were smart enough to contribute.  Now on to my problem.

I need to parse out a string of data to be inserted into (@y) number of fields in a table.  The string is NVARCHAR(MAX) and comma separated.  I've gotten it to a point where I get a string such as VALUES(@v1,'','','','','','','','','','','','','','','',......)  and need to break that into something more like VALUES(@v1,'','','','',''),(@v1'','','','',''),(@v1'','','','',''),(@v1......) (@x) times.    As I write this I think it might now be so hard to just insert into the string at (@y) or (@y+1)   ) ,(@v,  might not need the trailing comma.   But how?????

Thanks for any advise  ~ Have a happy Independence Day

• This is absolutely a post which would benefit immensely from a sample record or two.

I see no reason why you can't use something like DelimitedSplit8K or SPLIT_STRING() to separate the delimited list into separate columns and then use INSERT.

maybe use a CTE to return the split list and then use something like

INSERT INTO DestinationTable (col1, col2...)

SELECT col1, col2,...

FROM cteDelimSplit

WHERE...

• I am not sure what the issue you are having exactly but it seems if you just looked up String_Split that you would be able to implement what it is you are trying to implement as that is a fairly straight forward element of most SQL languages.

• Duplicate

• DECLARE @TextToParse VARCHAR(100) = 'for col1, for col2, for col3, for col4';

INSERT INTO #SomeTable(SplitValue)
    SELECT TRIM(value) AS SplitValue
    FROM string_split(@TextToParse,',');

is one way

• Budd wrote:

First I want to thank anyone who takes a moment to help with this.  I really appreciate all the help I've gotten here over the years and I wish I were smart enough to contribute.  Now on to my problem.

I need to parse out a string of data to be inserted into (@y) number of fields in a table.  The string is NVARCHAR(MAX) and comma separated.  I've gotten it to a point where I get a string such as VALUES(@v1,'','','','','','','','','','','','','','','',......)  and need to break that into something more like VALUES(@v1,'','','','',''),(@v1'','','','',''),(@v1'','','','',''),(@v1......) (@x) times.    As I write this I think it might now be so hard to just insert into the string at (@y) or (@y+1)   ) ,(@v,  might not need the trailing comma.   But how?????

Thanks for any advise  ~ Have a happy Independence Day

How about posting some sample data & desired results, in consumable format?

• This reply was modified 11 hours, 1 minute ago by  Phil Parkin.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply