Insert HyperLink.

• I have copied a Table from a MS Access Database to a Table on a SQL Server 2000 Database.

This table has HYPERLINKS to documents. Unfortunately the hyperlink is lost when you copy the table to SQL Server. For example, the hyperlink in the Access Table is j:\Docs\Budget.doc

When you copy it to SQL Server is stores it as j:\Docs\Budget#J:\Do

How do I get this to come accross to SQL Server as it is in Access?

Kindest Regards,

• I have no clue about hyperlinks in Access, but... are you positive that the actual value stored in Access is indeed 'j:\Docs\Budget.doc' ..?

I mean, this doens't like like no hyperlink to me, it's just an ordinary string value. (which we geeks read as a filepath) But still, there's nothing in there that says it's a 'link'.

My guess is that the 'link' is something that you see in Access, and as such it's Access that interpretates it as a link..? (ie an 'app feature') Further guessing would be that the actual value in Access is something like what you get when you copy it over. the '#' and similar looks more like some sort of tags or attributes that Acces could read as a hyperlink...?

Oh well.. just guessing anyway.. Back to my coffe

/Kenneth

• It's true.  Access has a hyperlink data type which is a bona fide hyperlink, not merely a string.  I suspect the driver that converted the data type has to at least represent it in SQL Server since it does not have a hyperlink data type.  If you attempt to use hyperlinks in SQL Server you would need some type of programmatic solution using text.

• Other forums that discuss this issue suggest storing the hyperlink datatypes as varchar in sql server and use the app. to interpret it as hyperlink...here's one such link

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Access isn't storing a hyperlink, merely data that is interpreted by Access as a hyperlink due to the field type chosen. You can store up to 3 parts, the text, the URL, and a screen tip. When converted, this data would naturally become text.

Bill

Chattanooga, TN

(Sorry, didn't mean to include the quote)

• I thought that was what a hyperlink was; data which functions as a logical link to address internal or external documment locations.  The field type in the table is a hyperlink.  If it looks like a duck and acts like a duck it is a duck.  The problem is translating it to SQL Server which has not data types representing hyperlinks.  Clicking on the hyperlink field in the Access data table will cause a hyperlink jump to the new document.  But we digress.

• Using Frontpage to create the links to the database you can double click on the field that conatins the hyper link data and there is an option to select 'field cntains HTML' this can be any html.

Thus the Varchar field containing <a href=http://www.msn.com></a> would have you link. Unfortunately you are going to have to either write a query to and the Html tags or export to Excel and add it in that way with a formula in a new column

="<a href="http://" & CellNumber & "></a>"

If you wanted it to be some text then just add something like hope it helps.

I am sure dreamweaver will let you do the same.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply