Improving Skills at Work

• Improving your skills at work is essential for professional development and career growth. There are many ways to enhance your abilities, including attending training courses, seeking feedback from colleagues or supervisors, reading relevant literature, and practicing new techniques. Setting achievable goals and actively seeking out new challenges can also help you to expand your skill set. It's important to remember that learning is a continuous process, and making a commitment to improve your skills can help you to become more confident and effective in your job, while also increasing your opportunities for advancement and success in the future.

• Improving skills at work is crucial for both personal and professional growth. One effective way to enhance skills is to seek out opportunities for training and development, such as attending workshops or enrolling in courses. It's also important to actively seek feedback from supervisors and colleagues to identify areas for improvement and create a plan for addressing them. Additionally, practicing new skills regularly and seeking out new challenges can help to refine and build upon existing abilities. By investing in skill-building, individuals can increase their value to their organization and enhance their career prospects.

• Rod at work wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

FWIW, Jeff, it would be great to see a list of common SQL problems that people ought to be able to solve. I'd add in

• running totals
    • deserializing XML and/or JSON since people stuff those into databases
    • pivoting/unpivoting data
    • generate a large volume of data with a tally table
    • split strings based on some delimiter that STRING_SPLIT can't handle

Be nice to put together a "learn these skills" article with follow ups later on how to solve them.

I like this suggestion, Steve and Jeff. I certainly would read that series. For example, that running total problem, I've only solved that with different report writing tools. I'd love to see how that can be done in SQL.

Thanks for the encouragement, Rod, but my issue with that is... I've already written and published articles for 4 of the 5 subjects listed.  They could probably use an upgrade thanks to some marvelous improvements in T-SQL for 2022 (where they finally have caught up to what many have been doing for nearly 2 decades) but the original articles have been around of years and, in some cases, more than a decade.  I'm not the only one that has written such articles.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply