I'm Stumped - Starting SQL With Domain Account

• So, having spent most of Friday and a portion of the weekend trying to sort out this issue I have conceded defeat. This is not an urgent issue as it is a dev server and we are recreating it, but I want to document this and maybe get some input.

The Server

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Service Pack 2

SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition RTM

The problem

SQL Server 2008 R2 was running under Local System but we need it to run under a domain account. After changing the service to Log On As a domain account the service will not start.

The errors - SQL Server log

Error: 17190, Severity: 16, State: 1.

Initializing the FallBack certificate failed with error code: 1, state: 1, error number: -2146893802.

Unable to initialize SSL encryption because a valid certificate could not be found, and it is not possible to create a self-signed certificate.

Error: 17182, Severity: 16, State: 1.

TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x80092004, status code 0x80. Reason: Unable to initialize SSL support. Cannot find object or property.

Error: 17182, Severity: 16, State: 1.

TDSSNIClient initialization failed with error 0x80092004, status code 0x1. Reason: Initialization failed with an infrastructure error. Check for previous errors. Cannot find object or property.

Error: 17826, Severity: 18, State: 3.

Could not start the network library because of an internal error in the network library. To determine the cause, review the errors immediately preceding this one in the error log.

Error: 17120, Severity: 16, State: 1.

SQL Server could not spawn FRunCM thread. Check the SQL Server error log and the Windows event logs for information about possible related problems.

The Errors - System & Application log

The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service terminated with service-specific error 2148081668 (0x80092004).

An error occurred during decryption.

What I Tried

1. Google.

2. Use a different domain account.

3. Remove the user profile from Windows.

4. Turn the server off and on again.

5. Install service pack 2 for SQL Server.

6. Uninstall and reinstall SQL Server.

7. Remove SQL Server and reinstall. (Remove all traces of SQL Server by uninstalling all components, remove all SQL folders and all SQL registry keys).

8. Ensured VIA protocol was disabled.

9. Ensured Force Protocol Encryption is set to NO.

The SQL Guy @ blogspot[/url]

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

• Where and how did you change the service account?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I tried both configuration manager and windows services. Also specifying the account during the installation caused the failure.

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

• You may need to open a case with Customer Support then.

Never use the services app to change a SQL logon. Config manager is the only thing which should be used as it will assign the required permissions when the account is changed. Services has no knowledge of the permissions SQL needs.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• have you checked the local SQL Server groups to see if the svc account has been added, when installing SQL Server 2008 on Windows 2003 it will use the old Windows group structure for permission inheritance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• GilaMonster (12/1/2014)

You may need to open a case with Customer Support then.

Never use the services app to change a SQL logon. Config manager is the only thing which should be used as it will assign the required permissions when the account is changed. Services has no knowledge of the permissions SQL needs.

Thanks Gail, I'll pass that piece of info onto my team.

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

• Perry Whittle (12/1/2014)

have you checked the local SQL Server groups to see if the svc account has been added, when installing SQL Server 2008 on Windows 2003 it will use the old Windows group structure for permission inheritance.

No, I didn't check that. I'll do that when I get back to the office, provided the server is still available.

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

• Sean Pearce (12/1/2014)

provided the server is still available.

😀 what have you done with it then

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (12/1/2014)

Sean Pearce (12/1/2014)

provided the server is still available.

😀 what have you done with it then

I'm imagining a server being thrown off a roof... 🙂

Gail Shaw

• Haha. The server team will be reinstalling Windows.

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply