Identity_Insert

• Hi,

Is there a way to check if any of the tables in a database have the "identity_insert" option enabled/disabled?

Thanks for the help,

S

--
    :hehe:

• Assuming SS2K5 statement below should do the trick...

select is_identity, count(*) from sys.columns group by sys.columns.is_identity

0 => Disabled

1 => Enabled

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Thank, this definitely points me to the right direction.

However, this only gives me the count of the total tables in a database with the is_identity true/false.

I need names of each table and the value of is_identity.

I kind of looked in sys.objects, to join on object_id to see if I could pull the table names, but it's much more complicated than just that. I'm thinking i'd need to join to a database, and then to a table and then I believe its normalized so that I will have to join on id's to another table which ultimately contains the physical table name.

Below is how far I got without avail:

select sys.objects.type_desc, sys.columns.is_identity from sys.objects

inner join sys.columns on sys.objects.object_id = sys.columns.object_id

where sys.objects.type = 'U'

Thanks,

S

--
    :hehe:

• SELECT *

FROM

INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

WHERE

COLUMNPROPERTY -- get columns where is_identity = 1

(

OBJECT_ID(QUOTENAME(table_schema) + '.' + QUOTENAME(table_name)) -- table ID

,column_name

,'isidentity'

) = 1

ORDER BY

table_name

,ordinal_position

Mj

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply